none
can not Use PSI to update task information(2007)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Now i use PSI to update task information(the task's summary task had been assigned resource), failed. If the summary task has not resource then the code works.

Do you hnow why? 

Thanks! 

peardong
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you should really not assign resources to summary tasks. It is no best practice in a standalone project at all, but you have to be aware of issues if you want to do status updates with Project Server - as you experienced using PSI currently and as Heather wrote in the blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2008/07/02/back-to-basics-understanding-summary-tasks-and-subtasks.aspx:"...Additionally, you should refrain from assigning resources to summary tasks if you do task status updates through Project Web Access.  Since summary task dates are driven by their corresponding subtasks, this can cause issues if the resource enters actuals outside of these dates...." So I assume that being the reason that PSI is not designed for doing so.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Jim Corbin Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you should really not assign resources to summary tasks. It is no best practice in a standalone project at all, but you have to be aware of issues if you want to do status updates with Project Server - as you experienced using PSI currently and as Heather wrote in the blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2008/07/02/back-to-basics-understanding-summary-tasks-and-subtasks.aspx:"...Additionally, you should refrain from assigning resources to summary tasks if you do task status updates through Project Web Access.  Since summary task dates are driven by their corresponding subtasks, this can cause issues if the resource enters actuals outside of these dates...." So I assume that being the reason that PSI is not designed for doing so.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Jim Corbin Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you very much! I got it:)

peardong
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:39 AM