No .NET Compact Framework in VS2008 Showing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I got a new machine and had to reinstall applications.

I installed

1. VS 2008, version 9.0.30729.4462 QFE

2. .NET Frameworkd 3.5 SP1

3. .NET CF 2.0 and 3.5 (see screenshot)  NOTE That Programs and Features screenshot below does not provide "Uninstall" button.

Installed .NET Compact Frameworks 2.0 and 3.5

When I open my VS2008, New Projet->There is no C#, VB, Win Mobile projects at all like I used to have

Under Other Project Types, It shows only "Visual Studio Solutions" and Blank Solution template, nothing else.  Before, I used to have here here Visual C# with Smart Device Project templates underneath it.

Then I tried installing Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK and it would not let me install it but offer a link to see "missing software".  That link took me to VS2012 website which has nothing to do with WM5.0.

Any ideas,

Much appreciated.

ddd

-- d.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:07 AM

Answers

• VS 2012 is _not_ needed (nor it supports device development). It takes you to that page simply because the meaning of the link has changed over the years since 2008. May be this link is no longer valid and it's a redirect to a generic VS page. Or, perhaps be, it takes you to the current VS version whatever that is (2012 today, 2010 ~3 years ago, 2008 in 2008, 2013 very soon).

Now to the SDK installation issues and "missing" project types... Please check the following:

1. Make sure you have VS 2008 _Pro_ or higher. SE and Express editions do not have device development support.

2. Make sure you did not do custom installation with device development features not installed. If you did then launch VS installer and add these features. 

As far as I remember WM 5 and 6 SDKs are includes with VS 2008, no installation is needed.

Also keep in mind NETCF versions won't be listed in this drop down which is on your picture. It would be a separate project sub group under C#, VB and C++.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by _db_ Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:40 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Experts,

I am trying to install Windows Mobile 5.0 Picket PC SDK.msi downloaded from Microsoft's site http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=42

I have installed Visual Studio 2008 on my system, Version 9.0.30729.4462 QFE and .NETCF 3.5 SP1.

When I try installing WM 5.0 Pocket PC SDK.msi, it is saying that some required software is not installed on my machine and offers me to click on button to go to site to find out what software I am missing (see screenshot).

When I click on the button, it takes me to wrong site (for VS2012)??  (see screenshot).

I havent had this before.  Why is it complaining about missing software and why is it taking me to VS2012 site?

Much appreciated.

ddd

-- d.

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:16 PM
  • VS 2012 is _not_ needed (nor it supports device development). It takes you to that page simply because the meaning of the link has changed over the years since 2008. May be this link is no longer valid and it's a redirect to a generic VS page. Or, perhaps be, it takes you to the current VS version whatever that is (2012 today, 2010 ~3 years ago, 2008 in 2008, 2013 very soon).

Now to the SDK installation issues and "missing" project types... Please check the following:

1. Make sure you have VS 2008 _Pro_ or higher. SE and Express editions do not have device development support.

2. Make sure you did not do custom installation with device development features not installed. If you did then launch VS installer and add these features. 

As far as I remember WM 5 and 6 SDKs are includes with VS 2008, no installation is needed.

Also keep in mind NETCF versions won't be listed in this drop down which is on your picture. It would be a separate project sub group under C#, VB and C++.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by _db_ Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:40 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Thank you Ilya.  My VS 2008 was not Pro edition, that was causing the issue.

Much appreciated,

ddd

-- d.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:40 PM