Powershell 3.0: The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks I've read that the answer to "The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered" when launching the SP 2010 Management Shell is to uninstall Management Framework 3.0 and Powershell 3.0.

I've done that but am still getting the error above.  Has anyone else figured out this issue?

Specifically I uninstalled KB2506143 - for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  And version table now shows:

PS C:\Users\anguyen> $psversiontable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                       
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                                       
    CLRVersion                     2.0.50727.5466                                                                                                                              
    BuildVersion                   6.1.7601.17514                                                                                                                              
    PSVersion                      2.0                                                                                                                                         
    WSManStackVersion              2.0                                                                                                                                         
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0}                                                                                                                                  
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                                                                     
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.1                   

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check this link: http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/53953/suddenly-getting-the-local-farm-is-not-accessible-cmdlets-with-featuredependen

Usually you will see this if the user does not have rights to the SharePoint config database, or if the .NET 4.X framework is installed.

Brandon Atkinson
    Blog: http://brandonatkinson.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by karimSP Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Trevor SewardMVP Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Thanks.  I've uninstalled .NET Framework 4 as well as the appropriate KB update that had PowerShell 3.  That did the trick.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:29 PM
  • You can pass the -Version 2.0 switch if using PowerShell 3.0.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Thanks - this thread seems to imply that passing the -v2 switch won't solve all the problems with SP Management Shell though.  Of course the marked answer in that thread also said that .net 4 can stay but that was not true for me.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 3:31 PM
  • A quick follow-up:

After uninstalling PowerShell 3 then uninstalling .NET Framework 4 ---- and then REINSTALLING .NET Framework 4 my SP Management Shell still works.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:29 PM
  • I suggest you to run the sharepoint 2013 management shell as Administrator.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:17 AM
  • My issue was that the user I was logged in as did not have access to the SharePoint Config database.  You can check this in SSMS by clicking on the database and looking at permissions.

Thanks Much!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Right-Click the cmdlet in the menu. Choose run as administrator. Works everytime for me.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:29 PM