filesystem permission joined with SQL Server permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone, please help me solve my issue.
    I have a folder in which im keeping scanned documents all kinds of documents. each document i registered as row in my database. Access to different rows and data is restricted to users permissions depending who is currently working on the database. Im using MS ACCESS as the end user interface.
    My problem is that i want my users to be able to open scans of documents depending on their permission in the database. So if somebody doesnt have a right to see one document i dont want him to be able to see it. how to do it

Thank u

Marek
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 11:03 PM

Answers

• If your application tier is Access then only stream those information back that the user has access to. If you want to prevent the user from bypassing the access database by just getting the file from the share, SQL will be of no help here. SQL Server 2008 introduced a new storage attribute named filestream which is secured by SQL Server and can be incoperated with ýour (row level) security. By default noone, beside the SQL Server has access to the file structure of the Filestream data in the appropiate column.

Jens K. Suessmeyer
    Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:05 AM