Outlook 2007 instant search with special characters in message subject or body RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody

I have outlook 2007 with "instant search" installed and Win server 2003 both in en-us language.
    Do you known a way to find messages with subject containing string with special characters as "[" (square bracket)  ?

For example, for two emails one with subject "[DEV]Batch notification " and another with "Development connection changed ", all following instant search:
    subject:[DEV]

subject:\[DEV\]
    subject:"[DEV]"
    subject:"\[DEV\]"
    match both messages and highlight both "dev" substring:
    [DEV ]Batch notification
    Dev elopment connection changed

While I expect to match just [DEV] Batch notification .

In general I didn't find any Outlook documentation describing how to find special characters by "instant search"...

Thanks
    Mario A.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:40 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem with a search for "folder /db/abc/ has" " returning "folder /db/abctemp has".

Did you find a solution Mario A?

EDIT: rough work around; create a MS access link table to your mail folder and filter the table by your search term. :(

Friday, April 20, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Can someone point me to a list of special characters?  I've found the hard way that * and ~ cannot be searched.  Good luck finding the last time you met someone at the coffee shop *$s  :-)

Any link describing : "create a MS access link table to your mail folder "

Thanks

Monday, August 6, 2012 6:31 PM