none
Loading VSTO addin flow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I trying to figure out how\which VSTO is running my add-in.

So I looked at the registry and I found my vsto addin with the proper entries under HKCU \Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TestAddin

But I could not find the addin CLSID in HKCU\Software\Classes\TestAddin (I don’t see any class of my addin).

I want to see the value at HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{<add-in CLSID>}\InprocServer32 but I have no CLSID related to my addin.

So how my addin is running? What is the correct flow of loading vsto addin?

Thanks,

Yoav

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:38 PM

Answers

• Hi again, Yoav.

I asked around, and this scenario should definitely be supported.  There are some behavioral changes between Office 2010 and 2013 (for example, Office 2010 used to open a new document by default on launch, whereas 2013 does not), so I wonder if it's something more related to that, rather than the re-targeting.

If you have a simple repro project that you can share, I can take a look at it for you.  The simplest thing would be to put it up on SkyDrive and then email me a link:  michael.zlatkovsky@microsoft.com.

Best,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

• Marked as answer by YoavY Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Just want to share that there is a known issue on this case:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796590 (issue 5).

Install the latest version of VSTO resolves the issue.

Thanks again Michael,

Yoav

• Edited by YoavY Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:13 AM

All replies

• You probably would get better answers in the VSTO forum, but VSTO includes a loader that provides shimming to set a unique AppDomain for the addin and to load the addin using mscoree. There won't be any entries in HKCR, as there would be for an addin where you registered the DLL.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "YoavY" <=?utf-8?B?WW9hdlk=?=> wrote in message news:30713f42-e976-4559-a59f-565317667eda...

Hi,

I trying to figure out how\which VSTO is running my add-in.

So I looked at the registry and I found my vsto addin with the proper entries under HKCU \Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TestAddin

But I could not find the addin CLSID in HKCU\Software\Classes\TestAddin (I don’t see any class of my addin).

I want to see the value at HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{<add-in CLSID>}\InprocServer32 but I have no CLSID related to my addin.

So how my addin is running? What is the correct flow of loading vsto addin?

Thanks,

Yoav

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Hi YoavY,

Perhaps this article will help:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff937654.aspx.  It describes the flow of creating an installer, but as such it might also help explain how the add-in loads.

Otherwise, there is always ProcMon:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx.  But it will dump out a LOT of information....

Best of luck,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Thank you both.

After some reading I found that the load sequences for vsto add-ins are:

VSTO 2005 SE Office 2007:       VSTOEE.dll -> AddInLoader.dll ->VSTORuntime.dll ->solution

VSTO 2010 Office 2010/2013:    VSTOEE.dll -> VSTOLoader.dll ->solution

I also understand that there is just one instance of VSTOEE.dll (the latest that is installed).

Now,I installed my addin in the OL2007 using VSTO 2005 SE and want to upgrade to office 2010/2013 (VSTO 2010 included).

Does VSTOEE.dll (the latest one is VSTO 2010) know to run VSTOLoader(2010)  and AddInLoader(2005) or just VSTOLoader (2010)?

Thanks,

Yoav

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Hi YoavY,

Yes, the latest version of VSTOR (Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=140384) should be able to load both "new" add-ins and add-ins created with the previous versions of VSTO.

Let me know if you run into any issues, I'll be happy to help.

- Michael

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Thank you again for replying.

I have VSTO add-in that is created by using VSTO 2005 SE.
    I have machine with office 2007, .Net framework v2, v3, v3.5 installed, VSTO 2005SE is also installed. The add-in loaded and runs well.
    After upgrade to office 2010, it works fine either.
    But on upgrade to office 2013 (from office 2007), the add-in isn’t loaded (LoadBehavior becomes 2).

I’ve tried add-ins troubleshoot (VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS, Fusion, Disable other add-in) but I did not get any information about the failure.
    Also, I’m using Procom and have the rows between getting add-in information to the row that sets LoadBehavior to 2, but I cannot figure out exactly where the problem is.

Any idea what can cause this failure?

Thanks,
    Yoav
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Hi Yoav, I'm having a couple of folks from my team investigate this.  I'll let you know as soon as we have some findings.

Thanks,

- Michael

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Hi again, Yoav.

I asked around, and this scenario should definitely be supported.  There are some behavioral changes between Office 2010 and 2013 (for example, Office 2010 used to open a new document by default on launch, whereas 2013 does not), so I wonder if it's something more related to that, rather than the re-targeting.

If you have a simple repro project that you can share, I can take a look at it for you.  The simplest thing would be to put it up on SkyDrive and then email me a link:  michael.zlatkovsky@microsoft.com.

Best,

- Michael

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Just want to share that there is a known issue on this case:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796590 (issue 5).

Install the latest version of VSTO resolves the issue.

Thanks again Michael,

Yoav

• Edited by YoavY Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:13 AM