Identity 2: Redirect to login page if user not logged in and enters URL directly RRS feed

• Question

• User811468932 posted

I have a web site using Identity 2. I use vb.net

I am trying to stop people entering a URL on my web site and being directed to login page if not logged in. Currently, if you enter the URL the page deplys. In the old membership approach this could be done in web.config but that does not work with Identity.

I have read a few posts (mostly MVC) that talk about this but I cannot work out how to do it.

I believe I need to modify the code in Startup.Auth? I currently have basically the default start up

Public Sub ConfigureAuth(app As IAppBuilder)
    'Configure the db context, user manager and signin manager to use a single instance per request
    app.CreatePerOwinContext(AddressOf ApplicationDbContext.Create)
    app.CreatePerOwinContext(Of ApplicationUserManager)(AddressOf ApplicationUserManager.Create)
    app.CreatePerOwinContext(Of ApplicationSignInManager)(AddressOf ApplicationSignInManager.Create)

' Enable the application to use a cookie to store information for the signed in user

app.UseCookieAuthentication(New CookieAuthenticationOptions() With {
    .AuthenticationType = DefaultAuthenticationTypes.ApplicationCookie,
    .Provider = New CookieAuthenticationProvider() With {
    .OnValidateIdentity = SecurityStampValidator.OnValidateIdentity(Of ApplicationUserManager, ApplicationRoleManager)(
    validateInterval:=TimeSpan.FromMinutes(120),
    regenerateIdentity:=Function(manager, user) user.GenerateUserIdentityAsync(manager))},
    .LoginPath = New PathString("/Account/Login")})
    ' Use a cookie to temporarily store information about a user logging in with a third party login provider
    app.UseExternalSignInCookie(DefaultAuthenticationTypes.ExternalCookie)

app.UseTwoFactorSignInCookie(DefaultAuthenticationTypes.TwoFactorCookie, TimeSpan.FromMinutes(5))

app.UseTwoFactorRememberBrowserCookie(DefaultAuthenticationTypes.TwoFactorRememberBrowserCookie)
    End Sub

Appreciate any help

Thank you

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:09 AM

Answers

• User283571144 posted

Hi michael_y,

As far as I know, the identity is not as same as form authentication.

We couldn't enable the form authentication to login user.

The identity user token is not as same as form authentication user ticket.

They are different things.

If you want to enable auto redirect unauthorized user to login page.

I suggest you could write logic in the master page's page load event to check the user is unauthorized.

More details, you could refer to below codes:

Master page:

In the master Page load event write this code, add a property named IsLoginRequired.

By using this property we could set the page is not required login by setting the IsLoginRequired to false.

Public m_bLoginRequired As Boolean = True
        Public Property IsLoginRequired As Boolean
            Get
                Return m_bLoginRequired
            End Get
            Set(ByVal value As Boolean)
                m_bLoginRequired = value
            End Set
        End Property

Then in Master page page load event we could check the user is login and the page require login.

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            If IsLoginRequired = True Then
                If Not HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated Then
                    Response.Redirect("/Account/Login.aspx")
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

Then in the login page:

We could modify the master page IsLoginRequired to false in Page_PreInit event:

Partial Public Class Login
        Inherits Page
        Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit
            Dim masterpage As SiteMaster = CType((Page.Master), SiteMaster)
            masterpage.IsLoginRequired = False
        End Sub

Result:

Best Regards,

Brando

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 6:24 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Your question is not clear.  The default behavior of ASP Identity using the "Individual Account" template in Visual Studio will redirect the browser to the login page if a secured resource is requested and the user is not authenticated. 

Using the Web.Config to secure or allow anonymous access to folders has not changed.

Can you explain the problem you are trying to solve?

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:05 AM
  • User811468932 posted

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply

I think I have confused myself. As the post title suggests I am trying to ensure that people can only see a web page if logged in. At the moment using a page URL will take you there logged in or not. 

You say "The default behavior of ASP Identity using the "Individual Account" template in Visual Studio will redirect the browser to the login page if a secured resource is requested and the user is not authenticated." This is not happening

After reading numerous forum posts I came to the conclusion that denying login in web.config was no longer the approach. Looks like I got this wrong.  So I added the following to the web.config

<authentication mode="Forms">
          <forms loginUrl="/Account/Login.aspx" protection="All" path="/" timeout="180" name=".ASPXAUTH" defaultUrl="default.aspx" />
        </authentication>
        <authorization>
          <deny users="?" />
        </authorization>

However, I now get an error " the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." So far can't see the cause.

The error goes away when I remove deny users line.

Is this the correct approach?

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:29 AM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi michael_y,

As far as I know, the identity is not as same as form authentication.

We couldn't enable the form authentication to login user.

The identity user token is not as same as form authentication user ticket.

They are different things.

If you want to enable auto redirect unauthorized user to login page.

I suggest you could write logic in the master page's page load event to check the user is unauthorized.

More details, you could refer to below codes:

Master page:

In the master Page load event write this code, add a property named IsLoginRequired.

By using this property we could set the page is not required login by setting the IsLoginRequired to false.

Public m_bLoginRequired As Boolean = True
        Public Property IsLoginRequired As Boolean
            Get
                Return m_bLoginRequired
            End Get
            Set(ByVal value As Boolean)
                m_bLoginRequired = value
            End Set
        End Property

Then in Master page page load event we could check the user is login and the page require login.

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            If IsLoginRequired = True Then
                If Not HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated Then
                    Response.Redirect("/Account/Login.aspx")
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

Then in the login page:

We could modify the master page IsLoginRequired to false in Page_PreInit event:

Partial Public Class Login
        Inherits Page
        Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit
            Dim masterpage As SiteMaster = CType((Page.Master), SiteMaster)
            masterpage.IsLoginRequired = False
        End Sub

Result:

Best Regards,

Brando

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 6:24 AM
  • User811468932 posted

Thanks so much Brando

Your explanation and the code you provided are excellent

I copied your code and it worked first time

I must admit that on the web how to determine how to do redirection is not very clear at all.

One forum will talk about Form authentication and the other will say implementing Identity "out of the box"

I had the standard Identity code but it required your logic to make it redirect

I hope your code  helps others

Regards

Michael

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:56 AM