Pixel shifting in tiles?

Question

• Is there an issue of how tiles are displayed? I have a wide logo that at 100% is displayed correctly in Photoshop, IE, Chrome or any other graphics programme that I tried but unfortunately fine details get blurred when it is shown on as a tile on a start screen. See screen grabs for comparison:

Photoshop(IE, Chrome) at 100%

Same image as a tile

-----------------------------------------------

PNG image details are as follows

Type: wide logo

Dimensions: 310x150

PPI: 72

---------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:56 PM

Answers

• Interesting. Your blurred screen grab appears to be at 80%.

Are you positive you're getting 100% scaling on the start screen? Is it possible that the scale-80 tile isn't being picked up correctly? If you add something to the tiles so you can tell the different scales apart do the correct ones get picked up in all resolutions in the simulator?

Can you provide a trivial sample which demonstrates how you're setting this ?

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Dmitry_M Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:46 AM
    Owner

All replies

• So I am guessing it is a flaw?

• Edited by Dmitry_M Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:28 AM
  • I suspect you are running on a system which uses 80% scaling for tiles. You should provide scaled versions of all of your images so the system doesn't have to scale them for you. See How to name resources using qualifiers.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:00 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Dmitry_M,

The Tile size in the start screen can be 80%,100%,140% or 180%.

"Because Windows can be run on many different devices, it is a best practice to include scaled versions of your images in your app package so that Windows can choose the most appropriate version for the device and its settings. For more information, see Globalization and accessibility for tile and toast notifications."

Best regards,

Min Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Nope that is definitely not the case. It uses 100% scaling plus I do have images with all required resolutions (i.e. 80%, 100%, 140% and 180%). All have pixel sharp quality but they get messed up on the start screen.

I tried a test image with a simple pixel width cross to double check and windows failed to render it properly. Again viewing those images in any other program or even the app itself works fine. Can send screenshots ...

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Interesting. Your blurred screen grab appears to be at 80%.

Are you positive you're getting 100% scaling on the start screen? Is it possible that the scale-80 tile isn't being picked up correctly? If you add something to the tiles so you can tell the different scales apart do the correct ones get picked up in all resolutions in the simulator?

Can you provide a trivial sample which demonstrates how you're setting this ?

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Dmitry_M Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:46 AM
    Owner
  • I will create a sample app and post a link to it along with the screenshots ...

I am pretty sure it is 100% - I tried manually assigning 80% which would be displayed properly had scaling been an issue here.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Never mind I did a clean rebuild, redeploy and the problem went away. It is all good now :-)

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:15 AM
  • Oh and I marked your answer as a solution. Whoever runs into a similar problem your explanation will definitely help.

Thank you for your answers

• Edited by Dmitry_M Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:16 AM