none
Developing Outlook addin for Mac RRS feed

• Question

• I have already created an addin for Ms Outlook in Windows using visual studio 2010 and C#. It works fine with Ms Outlook 2007,2010,2013 and 2016 on Windows.

Now I would like to create the same addin for Outlook on Mac. I have downloaded a .pkg file of Outlook for Mac and have installed it. For activating It needs a Office 365 subscription and I have subscribed a one month free trial period.

Now to build the addin, I have surfed the internet.But I have not found any proper post related to this topic. Please help.
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

Duplicate post in here.

As the Eric mentioned:

.NET/COM add-ins built with Visual Studio do not work on Outlook for Mac. Only the new web Outlook Add-ins (using JavaScript + HTML5 + CSS) will work. See: https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/overview/office-add-ins

If you still have the problem developing with apps for Office, please feel free to ask here.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hello Manas,

One more option you may discover is AppleScript. Outlook on Mac is highly scriptable and depends on tasks you would like to perform it may be sufficient to use AppleScript. You may after hook up those scripts to Outlook scripts menu with assigning shortcuts.

Option with Office App probably will be the better choice as once developed will work with Outlook for web and on Windows version 2013, 2016. Unfortunately will work only with Outlook 2016 for Mac only. I also would like to point here your attention that many interface properties for Mac version will be read-only, where for Windows version you will be able to modify them. See limitation on dev.office.com

Slava Ivanov

Monday, May 2, 2016 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Duplicate post in here.

As the Eric mentioned:

.NET/COM add-ins built with Visual Studio do not work on Outlook for Mac. Only the new web Outlook Add-ins (using JavaScript + HTML5 + CSS) will work. See: https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/overview/office-add-ins

If you still have the problem developing with apps for Office, please feel free to ask here.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hello Manas,

One more option you may discover is AppleScript. Outlook on Mac is highly scriptable and depends on tasks you would like to perform it may be sufficient to use AppleScript. You may after hook up those scripts to Outlook scripts menu with assigning shortcuts.

Option with Office App probably will be the better choice as once developed will work with Outlook for web and on Windows version 2013, 2016. Unfortunately will work only with Outlook 2016 for Mac only. I also would like to point here your attention that many interface properties for Mac version will be read-only, where for Windows version you will be able to modify them. See limitation on dev.office.com

Slava Ivanov

Monday, May 2, 2016 3:14 PM