none
Disable "Save As" from the Backstage view with XML script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a client using a document management system (DMS) and wants to force Word users to save to the DMS and nowhere else. To do that, I've disabled "Save" and "Save As" in Word 2007 and Word 2010. Now, they upgraded to Word 2016 and though the "Save" is still disabled, I couldn't figure out how to disable the "Save As" because apparently it is no longer a command that can be disabled using an XML script with the following:

<command idMso="FileSaveAs" enabled="false" />

It works for "Save" though: <command idMso="FileSave" enabled="false" />

I created the XML script using the Office Custom UI Editor and then used it as a template for Word (in the STARTUP folder).

Will you please someone help me with this ?

Thank you

Julio

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Julio,

>>, I couldn't figure out how to disable the "Save As" because apparently it is no longer a command that can be disabled using an XML script with the following

What did you mean that not able to disable the "Save As" command? We are still able to disable the "Save As" command in Word 2016. We can confirm it by adding the "Save As" command to the Quick Access tool bar. Here is a figure for your reference:

And we are not able to disable the "Save As" tab on the backstage view because it is a tab. However, we can hide this tab using code below:

<tab idMso="TabSave" visible="false" > </tab>

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 22, 2016 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Julio,

>>, I couldn't figure out how to disable the "Save As" because apparently it is no longer a command that can be disabled using an XML script with the following

What did you mean that not able to disable the "Save As" command? We are still able to disable the "Save As" command in Word 2016. We can confirm it by adding the "Save As" command to the Quick Access tool bar. Here is a figure for your reference:

And we are not able to disable the "Save As" tab on the backstage view because it is a tab. However, we can hide this tab using code below:

<tab idMso="TabSave" visible="false" > </tab>

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, April 22, 2016 10:06 AM
  • Hello Julio,

You can't repurpose Backstage UI controls. It works only for the ribbon. 

Here is what the Introduction to the Office 2010 Backstage View for Developers page states:

It is not possible to override these commands from the custom UI XML markup or by using the object model. Using theDocumentBeforeSave event is one alternative, but using that doesn't really change the functionality of the individual commands that show up in the Change File Type gallery in the Backstage.

A better solution would be to consider hiding the built-in UI and rebuilding it fully with custom commands.

[custom.development]

Friday, April 22, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:07 PM
  • as you can see in the above image, I can disable the "Save" and I would love to be able to disable the "SaveAs" as well. 

So Fei, will you try and see if you can achieve that ?

Thanks

Julio

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:09 PM
  • Hi Julio,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue.

As I describe above, this is impossible at present. Because the "Save" on the backstage view is corresponding the command "Save". When we click the "Save" button on the backstage view, it actually fire the "SaveAs" tab on the backstage view. This behavior is same as when we press "Ctrl & S" as the "Save" command.

However, the "SaveAs" on the backstage view is a "Tab", which is not able to disable. This difference is introduce from the Office 2013. You can compare the difference for the "SaveAS" on the backstage view from figure below:

Regards & Fei

Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:06 AM
  • ok, this thread can be closed, there is no solution for my needs :(
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:48 AM