DeviceEmulator ARMV4I - NAND flash emulation ? RRS feed

• Question

• On Mike Hall's WEblog (03/15/06), Barry Bond stated that DeviceEmulator supported NAND flash emulation. This is the only reference to NAND flash emulation that I have found. Can anyone point me to further doc's, tech articals, sample code, etc about this?
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Device Emulator emulates an Samsung SMDK2410 development board.

The Device Emulator BSP for Windows Windows CE 5.0 or the Shared Source Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Release provide some more information.
    The Windows Embedded CE 6.0 documentation may help as well.

Michael

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:42 PM
  • Right!

The PocketPC 2003 and Smartphone 2003 images that ship with VS2005 have the NAND flash driver in ROM.  If you launch with "/flash <filename>" on the command line (or the equivalent from the config dialog), the emulator will populate the 64mb of simulated NAND flash with a formatted filesystem that persists from launch to launch of the emulator.

Unfortunately, the NAND flash driver isn't present in Windows Mobile 5.0 images for the emulator, but it makes its return in Windows Embedded CE 6.0.

In the Shared Source release, open boards\smdk2410\devices.cpp and search for "IONANDFlashController" to see the implementation.

Barry

Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Excellent !  I downloaded the shared source and can see what the NAND emulator is doing.

We are using the S3C2410. But our hardware diverges in places from the reference board. It looks like we will have to do some adaptation to work correctly with the DeviceEmulator. Also it looks like we will have to disable ECC support in our image since the NAND emulation only emulates the first 8 bytes of the page info area, not the entire 16 bytes. I think we can deal with that.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 9:26 PM