none
Visual Studio 2008 / WEC7 on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am thinking of moving to WEC7 and I was wondering what combination of OS would work.

Can Visual Studio 2008 / WEC7 be installed on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

Or is it better to have a virtual environment on Windows 10 with Windows 7 OS on the virtual environment?

Any recommendation on what platform to use on for virtualization such as VMWare, Hyper-V, etc on Windows 10?

Thank you in advance!

Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:12 PM

All replies

• As far as I know VS2008/WEC7 can be installed and used on Win8.1/Win10. I used the combination of (pre-release) Win10 and WEC7 for a while, and that seemed to run ok. As Win10 is just released, it may needs an extra release to get that extra matureness (but I am not sure). If you don't wan't to trial and error than the safest thing would be, IMHO, to use the combination of Windows 7 and WEC7.

For your main development I would just use your development tools direct on the machine without running it in a VM environment. No matter what visualization tool you use there is always a performance loss. For all other development you can use a VM. 

I am using VMWare for years and I am pretty happy with it!

Good Luck,

Erwin Zwart, eMVP
    Check out my blog: http://guruce.com/blog
    GuruCE
    Microsoft Embedded Partner
    http://guruce.com
    Consultancy, training and development services.

Monday, August 10, 2015 8:17 AM
  • Hello Fer,

I have used both Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 & Virtual PC on Windows 7 with a VM running Windows 7 OS and VS 2008 as my build environment.  This setup works great unles you need USB or Serial connectivity to your device. If your device works through a net tap or you are just testing using a Virtual CEPC you should be fine to go with VMs.  I have done a few demos with two VMs; One VM with the tools the other with the VCEPC. 

For USB/serial connectivity scenarios I have an older Windows 7 PC set aside.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, August 10, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your set up. My device uses Serial to connect to the bootloader so I'll probably have to avoid visualization.

Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:43 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your setup and experience!
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:44 AM
  • Hello Fer,

Then the old Windows 7 PC is definitely the way to go.  I have had trouble with RAW serial from Windows 8 so I stuck with an OS that matched the VS2008 tool chain.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, August 24, 2015 6:03 PM