none
How many Kinects can run on one single PC RRS feed

• Question

• For Kinect for windows version 2,

Assuming that the PC is very very powerful and has tons of PCIe-to-USB 3.0 cards, is there limitation of the number of kinect sensors that can operate on a PC?

If so, how many cameras can work properly on one single desktop?

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:04 AM

Answers

• Sorry, but currently at most, only 1 Kinect for Windows v2.0 sensor can be connected to a single PC.

I confirmed this with Microsoft very recently.

They are suggesting that solutions that require multiple Kinect sensors use a cluster approach -- provide one PC per sensor (with perhaps something affordable like an Intel NUC) and aggregate the required data and send it to a master controlling PC over the network.  There are numerous obvious drawbacks to this approach, not the least of which is latency.

Monday, August 18, 2014 1:09 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but currently at most, only 1 Kinect for Windows v2.0 sensor can be connected to a single PC.

I confirmed this with Microsoft very recently.

They are suggesting that solutions that require multiple Kinect sensors use a cluster approach -- provide one PC per sensor (with perhaps something affordable like an Intel NUC) and aggregate the required data and send it to a master controlling PC over the network.  There are numerous obvious drawbacks to this approach, not the least of which is latency.

Monday, August 18, 2014 1:09 PM
  • At the recent hackathon we had a guy try to stream the entire stream so they could network the two. It didn't go well, eventually they go to just trying to stream the ST data. That was more feasible but they still ran out of time.

Ken

Monday, August 18, 2014 3:09 PM
  • what if i was to use vm's could i connect 4-5 kinects to a single pc and then route them to the vm's running software and synchronizing over network?

does the old kinect support more than 1 per pc ? 

my idea was to locate people in a room and turn limitless leds  on and off depending on wether or not somebody is standing in that area.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Kinect v2 does not work in VM due to the requirement of DX11.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:06 PM