Rerun a pipeline with latest published version RRS feed

• Question

• I published a pipeline with a Tumbling Window Trigger, activated it, and it failed. I had messed up configuring the activity properly. I updated the pipeline, published again, saw that the latest run of the pipeline succeeded, but when I reran the pipeline that had the original pipeline window start time, it failed for the same reason. This leads me to believe that rerunning, reruns the pipeline as it was originally published. Is there a way to rerun the pipeline, but on the latest published version? 
    Monday, April 13, 2020 11:29 PM

Answers

• To repro this time, I:

1. Create a pipeline with 1 parameter and 1 set variable activity.  The set variable, just uses the parameter.  This is so  I can look at the output when monitoring.
    2. Create the tumbling window trigger, passing value "abcd"
    3. Publish and wait.
    4. Inspection showed expected result, "abcd".
    5. Go into the trigger definition and change "abcd" to "wxyz"
    6. Publish.
    7. Rerunning pipeline via Monitoring > Pipeline runs , still had result "abcd", not "wxyz".
    8. Rerunning trigger via Monitoring > Trigger runs, still had result "abcd" not "wxyz".
    9. Rerunning via Author > Triggers > rerun range , and specifying the earlier window resulted in "wxyz" when I went back to check in Monitoring.

So what you want to do, is utilize the "rerun range" feature.  The other ways to rerun do not change the values triggers pass.

• Marked as answer by jader3rd Thursday, April 16, 2020 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2020 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hello jader3rd and thank you for your question.

I just attempted to reproduce that.

1. I created new factory without git integration.
    2. I created a pipeline that would deliberately fail, using a set variable activity.
    3. I set up a tumbling window trigger
    4. Published and waited for a couple runs
    5. Edited the pipeline, replacing the set variable activity with a wait activity (impossible to fail)
    6. Published and waited for 1 run (succeeded)
    7. Went to monitoring > pipeline runs, and clicked rerun on one of the failed pipeline runs.
    8. It succeeded, and inspection showed the wait activity rather than the set variable.
    9. I then went to monitoring > trigger runs , and click rerun on one of the failed runs
    10. It succeeded.

So I was unable to reproduce your issue.

What was the change you made? Was it a structural (like changing activity type)?  Or was it more like changing the parameter values?

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:08 PM
  • Not being able to reproduce the issue gives me some hope. But it also makes me wonder why I'm seeing that behavior.

The change wasn't structural. It was properly configuring the parameters/arguments of the pipelines single activity. I had missed a closing ".

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 4:05 AM
  • I will try reproducing with that change instead.  Was the change in the trigger passing parameter values, or in the pipeline definition?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2020 9:18 PM
  • To repro this time, I:

1. Create a pipeline with 1 parameter and 1 set variable activity.  The set variable, just uses the parameter.  This is so  I can look at the output when monitoring.
    2. Create the tumbling window trigger, passing value "abcd"
    3. Publish and wait.
    4. Inspection showed expected result, "abcd".
    5. Go into the trigger definition and change "abcd" to "wxyz"
    6. Publish.
    7. Rerunning pipeline via Monitoring > Pipeline runs , still had result "abcd", not "wxyz".
    8. Rerunning trigger via Monitoring > Trigger runs, still had result "abcd" not "wxyz".
    9. Rerunning via Author > Triggers > rerun range , and specifying the earlier window resulted in "wxyz" when I went back to check in Monitoring.

So what you want to do, is utilize the "rerun range" feature.  The other ways to rerun do not change the values triggers pass.

• Marked as answer by jader3rd Thursday, April 16, 2020 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2020 9:54 PM
  • Thanks for that. I will look for Rerun range.
    Thursday, April 16, 2020 1:46 AM
  • I'm not seeing Rerun range in that view. There's Deactivate, Delete and Code.
    Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:35 PM
  • Thank you for letting me know.

My apologies for suggesting this feature.  It seems this feature is not publicly available.

You can go to the pipelines and manually trigger them, passing in the appropriate values.

Monday, April 20, 2020 8:10 PM