none
Adding asps page to vb.net project RRS feed

• Question

•  I am developing a vb.net page that will allow me to send email to users.  I understand that I will need to add Asp page to do this. My question is how do I go about adding the asp page to vb.net project  Thanks

Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:04 PM

Answers

• You question made things a little more clearer. I determined that the technology I need is ASPX web Page, so I can use ASPX.vb How do combine it to other vb forms in this project. If it sounds too basic please forgive me. I have net used the technology before. I have tried reading up on this but have not gotten a good grips on it Thanks for your time Al

You can have a Windows forms project using VB, and you can have ASP.NET Web forms (ASPX )project using VB too with both projects in a single Visual Studio .sln file, which are two different projects in the same VS solution. 

But you can't have Windows forms and ASP.NET Web forms in a single project file, becuase both forms work in different enrolments.

You can have two projects one Windows forms and the other one ASP.NET Web forms with they both having the same functionality, just doing it in two different environments Windows Desktop and the other one using a Windows Web server.

Of course, you would have to be using one of the VS Community versions or a VS Professional version in order to have multiple projects in a single VS solution.

• Marked as answer by alobi Monday, July 2, 2018 2:22 PM
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 1:45 PM

All replies

• https://forums.asp.net/

There are many forums at the ASP.NET forums. that can help you.

Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:50 PM
  • This is a vb.Project  not  ASP.NET. Only two of over 100 forms is ASP.net form. I will still go ahead and check in the forum. Thanks 
    Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:59 PM
  •  I am developing a vb.net page that will allow me to send email to users.  I understand that I will need to add Asp page to do this. My question is how do I go about adding the asp page to vb.net project  Thanks

Why do you think a ASP.NET page is needed to send email messages as SMTP does not require this. I would suggest checking out the following page with a wealth of SMTP code samples.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Sunday, June 24, 2018 3:56 PM
  • This is a vb.Project  not  ASP.NET. Only two of over 100 forms is ASP.net form. I will still go ahead and check in the forum. Thanks 

So? You're the one that posted about ASP. It makes no difference if you are using VB or not. Like VB developers don't post in the ASP.NET forums?

There is no such thing as a VB.NET page. There is a HTML page that has a codebehind file that's can be C# or VB to support the page. But on the other hand,  you can use JavaScript to manipulate HTML controls on the page, like Knockout.JS Anaular.JS and many other JavaScript plugins and VB or C# is not even required.   

Sunday, June 24, 2018 4:23 PM
  • How do I incorporate codebehind file to a vb.net form? Thank you for your time
    Sunday, June 24, 2018 9:47 PM
  • How do I incorporate codebehind file to a vb.net form? Thank you for your time

First, you have to determine what technology you are wanting to use.     Is it an ASPX Web page that has a class that supports it called ASPX.vb or ASPX.cs? Or are talking about a Windows form that has a form class?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/303247/info-asp-net-code-behind-model-overview

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.form%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

OO is OO .NET or Java, understand it.

https://alfredjava.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/class-vs-object-vs-instance/

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1059863/The-Four-Pillars-of-Object-Oriented-Design

Sunday, June 24, 2018 10:55 PM
  • You question made things a little more clearer. I determined that the technology I need is ASPX web Page, so I can use ASPX.vb How do combine it to other vb forms in this project. If it sounds too basic please forgive me. I have net used the technology before. I have tried reading up on this but have not gotten a good grips on it Thanks for your time Al
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 1:08 PM
  • As Karen says, no need for an ASP page.  You can use the built-in mail objects or use the default mail program with a simple "mailto:" link.

The post in this thread has an example of a mailto link (the thread is about a different problem, but that doesn't matter, just look at what they are doing to send email using the default mail program).

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Sunday, July 1, 2018 1:43 PM

You can have a Windows forms project using VB, and you can have ASP.NET Web forms (ASPX )project using VB too with both projects in a single Visual Studio .sln file, which are two different projects in the same VS solution. 

But you can't have Windows forms and ASP.NET Web forms in a single project file, becuase both forms work in different enrolments.

You can have two projects one Windows forms and the other one ASP.NET Web forms with they both having the same functionality, just doing it in two different environments Windows Desktop and the other one using a Windows Web server.

Of course, you would have to be using one of the VS Community versions or a VS Professional version in order to have multiple projects in a single VS solution.

• Marked as answer by alobi Monday, July 2, 2018 2:22 PM
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 1:45 PM