Launching exes from Metro style apps

Question

• I want to launch an exe from the application folder of a Metro style app. I tried Launcher but it does not work. Do I need to set a file associattion for the exe in the app. If yes, how can  I set file associations for exe. Tried setting file association like for text files but that didnt help either..
    • Moved by Helen Zhao Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:52 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:44 PM

Answers

• Metro style apps cannot directly launch executables. You can use the launcher to open a document or protocol in its default handler, but you cannot control what that handler is and you cannot launch an exe or script file directly. This is explicitly called out in the LaunchFileAsync documentation.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:42 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi its_me_here,

According to your description, I'd like to move this thread to Building Metro style apps with C++ Forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Best regards,

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Metro style apps cannot directly launch executables. You can use the launcher to open a document or protocol in its default handler, but you cannot control what that handler is and you cannot launch an exe or script file directly. This is explicitly called out in the LaunchFileAsync documentation.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:42 AM
    Owner
  • Then is there anyway I can launch an exe from metro app if not directly? The exe I want to launch is a set up exe

Monday, June 18, 2012 9:06 AM
  • No, you cannot launch a setup executable. Please see the remarks in the LaunchFileAsync documentation.

--Rob

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:56 PM
    Owner