Error messages when deploying SSAS 2008 solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on an AS 2008 project using VS2008. The relational database for the data source is SQL Sever 2008 R2 CTP (n.b correction from original post), and so is the target server I am trying to deploy to. When I try to deploy the solution the following errors are returned:

Error 5 Internal error: Invalid enumeration value. Please call customer support! is not a valid value for this element.  0 0 

Error 6 An error occurred while parsing the 'StorageMode' element at line 1, column 11865 ('http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine' namespace) under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/StorageMode.  0 0 

Error 7 Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\AMS Analysis Services 2008.0.db\Dim Date.19.dim.xml'.  0 0 

I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped by these. Is it something to do with the fact that the target Analysis Services server is running R2? If so what can I do to deploy to that box?

Thanks
    Matt
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Like you cannot deploy a SSAS project in BIDS 2005 on a SSAS 2008 server, you cannot build a cube in BIDS 2008 and deploy it on SSAS 2008 R2.

It is possible to do the reverse, build in BIDS 2008 and deploy on SSAS 2005. There is a property for that called Deployment Server Version in the root of the project.

HTH
    Thomas Ivarsson
    • Marked as answer by Matt.F Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:07 AM

All replies

• One point to note is that I have tried deploying the same solution to a SSAS 2008 (i.e not R2) Analysis Server and it deploys fine.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

Like you cannot deploy a SSAS project in BIDS 2005 on a SSAS 2008 server, you cannot build a cube in BIDS 2008 and deploy it on SSAS 2008 R2.

It is possible to do the reverse, build in BIDS 2008 and deploy on SSAS 2005. There is a property for that called Deployment Server Version in the root of the project.

HTH
    Thomas Ivarsson
    • Marked as answer by Matt.F Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

Ok thanks, that makes sense. Just wish the error message said that!

Matt
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:34 AM
  • So what version of VS are we supposed to use? Do we have to upgrade to VS2010?

I'm using the SQL Server BIDS that was installed with SQL 2008 R2 (I also have VS2008 installed) and it deployed fine for a solution with one cube but then failed for a solution with 2 cubes.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:13 PM
  • This problem is occurring when deploying SQL 2008 projects built in R2. I have not been able to work out exactly what triggers the problem yet but when it happens it seems to trash the SSAS project so that it has to be re-built.
    Andrew Wiles - www.it-workplace.com - MDX made simple
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:01 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  It seems to be working fine until I add a Named Query to my data source view.  Then, I get this error.  I remove the named query, etc, and it does not repair itself.  I can open the SSAS database in SSMS and process without issues, but can no longer use my code project to process my cubes.  I can also successfully open and modify and process from BIDS, but only when opening the SSAS database directly.

It still seems to have the same issue when I create a new SSAS project and add the existing XML structure files - dims/cubes, etc.

Andrew Wiles: re. "... SSAS project so that it has to be re-built."       --   What do you mean by re-built?

I think I've seen it work that I can build a new project from the SSAS database (File... New... Project... Import Analysis Services Database) after complete processing of the database using SSMS or BIDs with the SSAS database opened directly.  It seems to work until I add another Named Query in a DSV.  Then have to do it over again.  It seems like the rebuild does not work until things are, at some level, processed - which I have not been able to figure out.

I believe I can work in the code project, deploy and then use SSMS to process...

Would appreciate any feedback.  This is time-expensive.

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:35 PM
  • How interesting...

I went to the dimension it was complaining about.  For that Dim, I went into the KeyColumns for an attribute that I knew had some NULLs in it ( another issue I had earlier), I set the NULLProcessing value to UnknownMember...  and this issue fixed itself.

2008 seems to manage dimension NULLs in a different way than 2005.  More research when I have time.

I really hope it happens again to see if I can fix it in the same way.  Cannot tell if it was solved by changing the the NULLProcessing or changing something, anything. 

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:21 PM
  •  you cannot build a cube in BIDS 2008 and deploy it on SSAS 2008 R2.

Well, OK, yeah . . . but there isn't a BIDS 2008 R2, is there? 

I've upgraded all our computers to R2, and I'm getting this error sporadically.  It's a real, real pain.

One workaround I've found is to deploy in BIDS, and process in SSMS.  That seems to work OK, and then it's even possible (sometimes) to subsequently process in BIDS.

And as far as I know, VS2010 don't support AS projects,does it?

What I would really like to know is precisely what version of BIDS/VS does work properly with R2?  We are MS Partners with MDSN subscriptions, so we should be able to get hold of the correct version . . . if we knew what that was, and where we could find it.

FYI, current versions are SQL Server 2008 R2 10.50.1600.1, and VS 2008 9.0.30729.4462 QFE .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 with hotfixes KB945282 946040 946308 946344 946581 947173 947540 947789.  I'm assuming that this was the BIDS installed by the R2 upgrade.  Am I right?

Donna

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

You should use the BIDS SQL Server 2008  R2 version.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, August 2, 2010 5:27 PM
  • You should use the BIDS SQL Server 2008  R2 version.

Thanks for the  prompt reply, Thomas, but I'm afraid I must be really blond today.  I don't know what you mean by the "R2 version" (assuming you're referring to the VS shell in the R2 distro).

I used the Upgrade option when installing R2 on several machines.  The VS version is 9.0.30729.4462.  That's just a VS BIDS shell. 

I did a fresh install of R2 on yet another machine, and that's the same version number i.e. 9.0.30729.4462.  So I'm at a loss as to understand where the "R2 Version" that doesn't generate all these errors comes from.   It certainly does not seem to be installed with the R2 distro.

In both cases I note that the TargetServerVersion property pulldown menu for a reporting services project does mention SQL Server 2008 R2 and the 'detect version' option does indeed identify an RS R2 instance on the reporting server.  So I think I may be running some sort of "R2 version", but this one is seriously buggy.  Most importantly, it frequently generates the 'Invalid enumeration value. Please call customer support!' error.  It also hangs most sessions, as well as generating other errors such as null pointers and 'invalid parent child relationship' errors in DSVs with no parent child relationships.  I don't think this could be be the "R2 version" to which you are referring.  

So, please let me re-iterate the central questions I originally posed:  what version  (as in, version number) of BIDS/VS does work properly with R2?  . . .  and where can we find it, please.

Donna

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have a clean install of SQL Server 2008 R2, developer edition, on my laptop, no upgrade, and the BIDS version is the same Visual Studio Version, Visual Studio 2008, that you also have.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Thomas,,

thank you again for your very prompt reply, and this does help . . . insofar as I now know not to try to chase down some mythical version of BIDS without the bugs.  I guess  all that can now be done is to wait until whenever the next Service Pack comes out with fixes for the problems - and remember to save work every ten minutes in the meantime :)

Donna

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:25 PM
  • I'm running into this bug myself trying to deploy from BIDS over the top of an existing SSAS database ... i can resolve it by deleting the database and then deploying.

• Proposed as answer by SSASBeginner Friday, October 8, 2010 4:32 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 4:57 AM
  • Today morning, I ran into the same problem as MDM12345. I created a named query into my DSV and when I tried to process the project through BIDS, I got the same error. However, I did look into the key attribute of the specified dimension in the error and the Null property was set to Unknown member. Then, I deleted the database from SSAS server as Josh Ash suggested, redeploy and process the project through BIDS and it worked. Thanks Josh Ash!
    Friday, October 8, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi Matt.

back and delete file '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\AMS Analysis Services 2008.0.db\Dim Date.19.dim.xml'.

and deploy...

CESAR

• Proposed as answer by Clark Wilson Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:11 PM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Dear all

I apperently have the same issue on a brand new SQL Server 2008 R2 enterprise edition install.

Simple dimension with a bigint key and several nvarchar fields as attributes. If i delete this dimension all the other dimensions process fine. If I add the dimension, I get the fiollowing errors:

Error    12    Internal error: Invalid enumeration value. Please call customer support! is not a valid value for this element.        0    0

Error    13    An error occurred while parsing the 'StorageMode' element at line 1, column 15143 ('http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine' namespace) under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/StorageMode.        0    0

Error    14    Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\SmartPharma_AS.0.db\Medecin.8.dim.xml'.        0    0   

The last error is actually pointing to a dimension that without the newly added dimension processed fine. I did not change the storage mode for any of the dimensions, all are on MOLAP.

If you ignore the messages the dimension is deployed. But the dimension will always be processed even if you just processed it.

It seems to have to do with a value in one of the nvarchar fields. There are * in there. Change that to a decent value but it did not change a thing. There are no NULL values in the fields or what so ever.

When I delete the dimension I have to reprocess the other dimensions to get rid of the errors and everything work fine again. The new dimension does not share the same name (medicin vs Produit CIP).

Another quiet annoying issue/ read BUG: you can change the deployment version of the project from SSAS 10.50 to AS 10.0 but you can not return to 10.50 because this value is not in combo box.

Advice: please do not change the value for this project.

Any advice from anyone?

Cheers

Roger

Friday, November 5, 2010 9:58 AM
  • I got the above error when adding new dimensions or changing existing ones. Per the advice above, I always rename the xml file listed in the error string and then redeploy the whole solution. Also I could process altered dimensions only after the re-deploment.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I ran into this bug as well.

I was just done changing the custom error handling in a dimension when the bug struck.

After reverting the change and deletion of the database, I tried to reproduce the change to see if it was causing the bug but this time it did not bug.

SQL Server 2008R2

Thanks/Regards, Philippe Cand
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:29 PM
  • As mentioned above, I was opening my solution with the default IDE version which was BIDS 2008 and trying to deploy onto a 2008 R2 server.

I got exactly the same error:

An error occurred while parsing the 'StorageMode' element at line 1, column 15143 ('http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine' namespace) under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/StorageMode.   

etc..

Resolution: Opened BIDS 2008 R2, then selected my project. Deployed straight away.

My next step if that didn't work would have been to delete the database and redeploy.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Change the Project Deployment setting: Deployment Mode to Deploy All and then deploy.

Cheers

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Hi All

I'm getting the exact same errors that Matt had. I've triied deployment mode deploy all and tried to process the cube, but it is not working... What is interesting is I tried to deploly to a different server and that works fine. could depply and process the cube.

Do you think my db got corrupted?? My environment is 2008R2

Anyone has any solutions to it??

Thanks

Ambika

Friday, March 18, 2011 8:57 PM
  • My experience matched Cesar's, though obviously the file I deleted was a different one.

The item marked as the answer (about the version of BIDS) is called into question by the later detailed discussion of BIDS versions. At the very least we would say that there are other conditions than that in which the error message occurs.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:15 PM
  • i have deleted SSAS database in SSMS 

and then re-deployed, its working ............

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I've gotten this error message several times as well:  Once when changing the parameter syntax in a Reporting action and next when changing the role's access to not allow drill-through.  Both times stopping the Analysis Service, deleting the database, restarting the service, then redeploying fixing the issue.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

I am using SQL Server2010R2(10.50.1600) with BIDS 2008.

I got the same error as Matt F.  But, Thanks to Cesar Galindo, I could deploy it successfully from BIDS.  Can anyone help me on why I am unable to find the cube in SQL Server Management studio under databases?  I refreshed, but I cannot see the cube.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi All

I'm getting the exact same errors that Matt had. I've triied deployment mode deploy all and tried to process the cube, but it is not working... What is interesting is I tried to deploly to a different server and that works fine. could depply and process the cube.

Do you think my db got corrupted?? My environment is 2008R2

Anyone has any solutions to it??

Thanks

Ambika

I had same issue that  Matt had, and I think to DELETE the SSAS database from analysis service does work;

It explains why your 2nd try on another machine works if that machine does not have the database deployed already.

I think the bug/issue is that BIDS2008 can not 'override' existing database in SSAS R2;

Regards,

Min

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:43 PM
  • I can confirm that I had the same issue.  Yesterday I deployed my project to a new database in SSAS.

Today I opened the very same project on my workstation, added a named query to the DSV and made a new dimension based on that DSV.  It was to a be a utility dimension so I wanted to set its default member.  To do that I needed to deploy the project - I was lazy and wanted to use the GUI.

I got the same error message about the StorageMode although it was in a dimension that had nothing to do with what I had just added.

Removing the database from the server (or in my case I deployed to a different database name) fixed the issue.  I was worried my project was corrupt, but it was soon obvious that wasn't the case since the path to the XML it was providing was definintely not on my workstation (I don't have a D: drive!)  :)

Someone above wrote about changing the deployment mode - that's probably not a bad idea.  I'll try that if I ever run into this issue again.  I had "deploy changes only" marked for me (which is the default).

Ian Yates Technical Manager Medical IT Pty Ltd PO Box 501, Carina QLD 4152 Australia Web: www.medicalit.com.au
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:12 AM
  • I had the exact same problem as everyone else here. Every time I changed anything in the cube it wouldn't deploy with the "Please call customer support!" problem.

One quick workaround that doesn't involve deleting cube or database and works for me every time.

• Right click the dimension reported by the problem and click "View Code".
    • Write a character and delete it so that the file seems modified (has a * by its name)
    • Save the file and process the dimension alone, without processing the cube
    • After this, processing the cude works fine

I hope Microsoft come with a solution to this very much super annoying bug soon...

Edit: Jadded's solution works after fixing it the first time

• Edited by fistikis Monday, September 5, 2011 9:38 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 9:30 AM
  • It worked thank you 
    Friday, September 30, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Hi Matt.

back and delete file '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\AMS Analysis Services 2008.0.db\Dim Date.19.dim.xml'.

and deploy...

CESAR

• Proposed As Answer byClark WilsonWednesday, April 06, 2011 6:11 PM

it really worked thank you 

Friday, September 30, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hi

i think you have to rebuild and deploy your project b4 changing anything

Willis

Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Its a simple & wonderful solution for this problem solution..Thanks
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:21 PM
  • This happened to me when introducing another DS to the cube, a new dimension and processign the cube witouth processing the whole project first. Than, even when I removed the newly introduced DS and a dimension I had errors on deployment.

Droping the database and redeploying the project solved the problem. No biggie..

L

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hi All,

Even I was facing the same issue today.

I added a Fact Table as Dimension (Fact/Degenerate Dimension) which had nvarchar attributes. Once I created Cube Dimension from this table and tried to deploy the solution, it got corrupted and was showing error with some other dimension.

Steps to recover:

1. Deleted the new Cube Dimension with nvarchar attributes.

2. Tried to deploy the whole solution. (Didnt work). Showed the error

Error 6 Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\AMS Analysis Services 2008.0.db\DIMENSION_TABLE.19.dim.xml'.  0 0

3. Tried to process only the dimension for which it showed the error (DIMENSION_TABLE). (It will show errors, you can ignore and proceed to process the dimension).

4. Tried to process the whole solution. (Worked Fine).

Summary:

Try to process the dimension separately which throws error by ignoring the deployment errors and then process the whole solution.

Thanks,

Swapnil

• Proposed as answer by SwapnilKothari Friday, February 10, 2012 6:35 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 6:33 PM
  • I was getting the same error.

First round through it would process my first dimension. Then I would process a second one and it would give the error mentioned here.

Set "Project Deployment Mode to Deploy All" then deployed...

Worked perfect for the first time... so far.

• Proposed as answer by kali786 Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kali786 Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by René Berends Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by René Berends Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:32 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Also I had the same error. It happens frequently with project that were originally built in SSAS 2008 and are used and further developed in SSAS 2008R2.

My workaround is to reprocess the dimension that is mentioned in the error, via SSMS.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:35 PM
  • That worked! Thanks
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Deleting SSAS DB worked for me. Didn't wanna delete it to save processing time until I saw your post. Thanks!

MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008, MCITP: Database Developer 2008, MCITP: Database Administrator 2008, MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer 3.5, MCTS: SharePoint 2010, Configuration Charter Member, MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Workflow Foundation Applications, MCTS: Microsoft Windows Vista: Configuration, Microsoft® Certified Trainer 2010

• Proposed as answer by JeffCAS Monday, December 10, 2012 3:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JeffCAS Monday, December 10, 2012 3:24 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Thanks Cesar for sharing this solution. It worked for me.
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:41 PM