none
MIgration from 4.5 to 4.8 framework RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing migration from 4.5 to 4.8 framework using VS 2017

In an application Tab in the project properties what target Framework i need to select 4.7.2 or 4.8

below steps i am doing 

Menu 'Project -> 'MyProject Properties' 
    Select the Application Tab in the project properties
    Select your target Framework (4.7.2 or 4.8 ??)

Monday, January 20, 2020 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Team,

Can i migrate project from 4.5 framework to 4.8 framework using visual stusio 2017 

is visual studio 2019 needed or i can do with VS 2017

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:26 AM
  • Of course you can.

• Select your Project in the VS Solution Explorer
    • Menu 'Project -> 'MyProject Properties' (last entry in menu)
    • Select the Application Tab in the project properties
    • Select your target Framework

If your solution consists of a lot of projects you have to repeat the steps for each project or e.g. use a powershell script to update the project files by textual search & replace.

Monday, January 20, 2020 9:44 AM
  • Thanks you 

In VS 2017 which target framework i need to select 4.7.2 or 4.8 

I am migrating to 4.8 but want to confirm please suggest

Monday, January 20, 2020 9:52 AM
  • If you want to use the latest version of the framework, then target 4.8. Keep in mind that the machine your app is running on will need whatever framework you are targeting.

william xifaras

Monday, January 20, 2020 3:45 PM
  • The Target Framework specifies which .NET framework you're going to use. However note there are assumptions here. Firstly you have to have the targeting framework installed otherwise it won't show up. If this is a Windows/console app then you are done. If this is a web/WCF service then note that runtime information is also stored in the config file.

As for whether you should target .NET Framework or not that is up to you. However unless there is a new feature that is only available for 4.8 I would not recommend targeting it. 4.8 is not available on all machines and therefore your users would need to ensure they have installed it. 4.7.2 is the current baseline for .NET Framework. While client machines should update to 4.8 for security fixes and whatnot your code should target 4.7.2 (or 4.7.1) unless it needs new features. Your code will run on the installed framework, they don't have to match. You just cannot use newer features on older frameworks but that is a client install issue.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Monday, January 20, 2020 4:27 PM
  • Hi 000sipi,
    If you want to use the new function of 4.8 framework, you can migrate to it. For the update of 4.8 framework, you can refer to this document.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:22 AM