none
Debugging UMDF Usb driver project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm developing UMDF driver for a USB device, I have following questions regarding the same:

Q1.

Can I debug UMDF driver code using Visual Studio 2012 on the development PC itself?

Or do I need two PCs for debugging?

Q2.

I have 2 Windows 7 x64 PCs in company network which I can setup for debugging. From VS 2012 of one PC, I can connect to the second one, start deployment, the Debug and Deploy wizard performs 5-6 steps of deployment but it stops at "installing .net component" and donot continue deployment. Second PC already has .net and VS installed.

These two PCs are connected by router and patch cables, do I need a specific cable for debugging on remote PC?

If there's any guide available for setting up debugging then it would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Dhruvesh

Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:44 PM

Answers

• 1 you can deploy a umdf driver to the dev host machine. Not necessarily recommended since this enables test signing on the machine and could weaken signing enforcement for scenarios outside of development

2 this should work. What type of kernel debugging transport are you trying to use? Networking, serial or 1394? As for the deployment failure, please post the log. You don't need vs on the separate machine under test

what type of umdf driver is this?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:31 PM

All replies

• 1 you can deploy a umdf driver to the dev host machine. Not necessarily recommended since this enables test signing on the machine and could weaken signing enforcement for scenarios outside of development

2 this should work. What type of kernel debugging transport are you trying to use? Networking, serial or 1394? As for the deployment failure, please post the log. You don't need vs on the separate machine under test

what type of umdf driver is this?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for reply Doron,

1. Can you provide some info about debugging driver project's source code on the development machine?

2. May I ask what does "kernel debugging transport" means in your above reply? 

Two computers I have, are connected via Ethernet patch cables of company's network. Is this connection sufficient for remote debugging?

I'm developing UMDF driver for custom USB keyboard device. Device provides key press information over bulk transfer endpoint. Currently, I'm trying to select 1st configuration to start receiving the data over bulk transfer.

Monday, November 4, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Win8 and above support network kernel debugging . To debug a win7 kernel, you need to connect the 2 computers over serial or 1394

Monday, November 4, 2013 3:07 AM