none
Some Newb questions templates images performance install time RRS feed

• Question

• 1.  Does the Application Compatibility Template run slower than Industrial Automation Template?

2.  How do I compare these 2 templates side by side?

3. Can I run ICE etc on an XP 32 bit dev system or do I really have to load it on a WIN7 system, if so i will run on Win7 64bit.

4. I installed WES7 on 3 systems from the x86 runtime DVD  then ran update etc. on each  It takes over 5 hours each. I need to ship them and I know this method works for now until I get a good process figured out?  I'm just getting ICE etc up and running. Can someone tell me if I will be able to create a golden install on one system then just make a copy/clone and slam on each new system?  32Gb Industrial Compact Flash drives.  I'll keep reading up on ICE, IBW, answer files,  etc

5.  I'll try and capture an image today before these units ship.   ...here I go.... switching to my WIn7 drive now....

Thanks, Richard

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

• Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

My plan was to use a "known stable" template and work down or up from there.

My Boss would like to see us have a "full" install and disable as many features as we can but leave them installed in case they are needed in the future, for dev/prototype systems. Then once they decide exactly what they need and dont need (to work in the field) we can create a minamalist install for production.

Another question:  Does MS "Windows Experience Index " work on WES7 with a compact flash?  Its failed to run on any system so far.  Is there a 3rd party tool that can bench mark these systems?  I can run Novabench on the large install (score:152) but not the Ind. Auto. template install???  Maybe I need to select it and its dependecies for the install. (duh makes sense)

...hmm just turned off "Indexing" by stopping "Windows search" WSearch services, nice noticable improvment.

Trying to benchmark now. (up to 161 from 152 Novabench score...nice)

Maybe  we just need to optimize these builds. :)  Have to do more research testing on this.

Update: According to our customer the other two system were slow at first but after being used for a day theyre running faster.  That makies some sense for typical Win 7 installs and indexing etc.  right?

So were good to go for now. :)

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Delphin25 Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:02 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• 1. Application compatibility adds more features - speed is relative, what do you mean by slow?

2. You can use the Answer file diff tool to compare answer files: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/afdiff. Create an answer file for each and then compare

3. You should use Windows 7 for development, XP is not supported.

4. What processor and ram is on these systems

There is a book that can help out: http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Thanks Sean,

I need to get your book.  :)

...and read it. lol

1. Speed wise, it just seems these systems are slower and take longer to install on than the previous few we setup.

Running IE, or even opening folders seems slow.

2.  Nice thanks, I'll do that.

3. Makes sense I'll switch over for this.

4. anyhow... Intel Atom  1.6Ghz, 2 GB SODIMM, 32 GB Transcend CF160 CF Card

...hmmm its supposed to be Dual Core but the system Im looking at right now doesnt report this, the previous one did?

I'm looking at system properties?  Interesting.

hmm you didn't answer the CF copy/clone question I'm guessing this doesn't work per hw signature legality etc?

hmmm MBR?...NTFS?

do we need to run sysprep first? (not like Windows for Workgroups 3.11...)

What is the correct MS way to do this anyway? (I suppose that's what the toolkit is for :) )

I'm trying to capture at least one image without corrupting it so I can ship these and have an image ready for use on the next order.  I'm just learning the tools now. 

Since my one identical test/dev eng system got cannibalized to replace a bad cpu board (rma) for this shipment lol  ...that never happened to me before...how about you?  lol  I may have to revert to spray painting "Engineering Development Unit" on it in bright orange :)

Now for sysprep, target analyzer, .pmq files and DISM???  ugh

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:34 PM
  • The more features added to the image, it will take longer to install. The real performance measurement is when the OS is finally up and running on the system.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:22 PM
  • (My last posts and edits failed from Firefox so Im back in IE9?)

So back to the original performnace issue.

1. Is the Application template considered the "FULL Version" install of WES7?

2. Is there a good list somewere of things to disable in this template for performance?

Ive seen some good posts here ie prefetching, indexing, defrag, auto updates, auto backup/restore 

W'ed prefer to deploy a full featured version with features disabled for performance but available if needed in the future or for development by end user.

3.I'm working on answer file compare concept to compare the 2 templates. Is there a faster way? Has anyone done this already?

FYI:

I got the cauture and deploy procedure working!!!

Nice job by MS on the walkthrough in the ICE help file!  Thanks MS Embedded team. :)

1. sysprep /generalize /audit /shutdown  ...on ref system

2. Make a WIn PE 3.0 bootable USB Flash Drive (UFD) utility (read the help) collect files, iso, prepare UFD..., xcopy

Tap, Imagex, etc

3. ImageX  /capture C: e:\mydevice.wim "Drive C" /verify     ...on the ref system

4. diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean

create partiotion primary

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick

exit

....on the target system

5. ImageX / e:\Myimage.wim l C:\apply .....on target  (deploy)

6. bcdboot C:\windows /s C:

wpeutil shutdown

...Boot to audit mode on new system in minutes  ...priceless

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Monday, October 1, 2012 9:28 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Why use a template? Why not pick and choose the features you want to include in the image that is needed for the system?That is what ICE is for.

Application Compatibility is close to full. Add all the driver packages and then it is the full OS.

-Sean

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

My plan was to use a "known stable" template and work down or up from there.

My Boss would like to see us have a "full" install and disable as many features as we can but leave them installed in case they are needed in the future, for dev/prototype systems. Then once they decide exactly what they need and dont need (to work in the field) we can create a minamalist install for production.

Another question:  Does MS "Windows Experience Index " work on WES7 with a compact flash?  Its failed to run on any system so far.  Is there a 3rd party tool that can bench mark these systems?  I can run Novabench on the large install (score:152) but not the Ind. Auto. template install???  Maybe I need to select it and its dependecies for the install. (duh makes sense)

...hmm just turned off "Indexing" by stopping "Windows search" WSearch services, nice noticable improvment.

Trying to benchmark now. (up to 161 from 152 Novabench score...nice)

Maybe  we just need to optimize these builds. :)  Have to do more research testing on this.

Update: According to our customer the other two system were slow at first but after being used for a day theyre running faster.  That makies some sense for typical Win 7 installs and indexing etc.  right?

So were good to go for now. :)

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Delphin25 Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:02 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 11:17 PM
  • I think you are taking the wrong approach to build the image. It is better to start small and grow big. I would have to know more about your product to better understand the approach.

The OS does some "indexing" / tuning after the second boot.

-Sean

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:19 PM
  • to get windows experience index working, try doing "winsat prepop" in audit mode. You need one of the performance features for this to work.

you really don't want a kitchen sink image, it's amazingly bloated (mine is close to 8g, but it is x64) 

Slow at first sounds like you have some garbage like the .net 2.0 services running for a while doing their stuff. 

to kill off indexing, you need:

sc config cisvc start= disabled

sc config wsearch start= disabled

(note space after = but not before.) there are a LOT of things you can kill here. IP v6 stuff, simptcp (echo etc), rip listener, and so on.

sc config clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_64 start= disabled
    sc config clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32 start= disabled

I fail to see the merit of these two things, we don't knowingly use .net 2.0 but just try getting rid of it.

=^x^=

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:11 AM