Apps wont load post developer GDR3 update for WP8 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue with my ATT Lumia 920 post developer update to GDR3 where any apps not native to the OS (ie. people hub, photos, etc) will not open since updating to GDR3.  I have found that uninstalling apps and reinstalling them fixes this issue but I would really like to avoid doing this for all of my apps. I also noticed that I am unable to access the 'screen rotation' and 'driving mode' option in settings (they are visible in settings but tapping them yields no outcome).  Multi-tasking close works fine and the more verbose 'phone storage' setting in settings also works fine.

My question is if anyone else is experiencing this issue as well and is there any fix?

Monday, October 14, 2013 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Folks
    Thank you for the follow up, can you please try to add another keyboard language to see if it forces an update to the applications and resolves the issue?

Instructions:  http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/basics/change-keyboard-language

As well, Joe, can you break out your question about the fix for rotation/driving mode into a new thread and provide some more detail? 

Thanks,

Eli

Eli A. - Microsoft Mobile Support

• Marked as answer by Eli A Monday, October 14, 2013 8:46 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hello Exiled,
    Normally after the update is complete is pops up a screen that says something along the lines of "You are almost complete...  Installing Apps".  It appears your phone had a slight hiccup at this point and did not finish the installation of the apps you had.

This should not be that common, and we would expect it to honestly not hit more then your device.  However, for the time being the only resolution would be to uninstall/reinstall the applications that are causing problems.

Do you know if you had seen the "You are almost complete" window?

Thank you,

Eli A.

Monday, October 14, 2013 6:06 PM
  • I too had this problem with the same device.  I did not see that screen, but I really do hope that it is repairable.  I have a Lumia 920 ATT with the Amber update.

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:08 PM
  • I had this same problem on a new Lumia 1020.  While it is easy (but painful) to re-install my apps, is there any way to fix the rotation/driving mode issue? 

Joe Brinkman

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hello Folks
    Thank you for the follow up, can you please try to add another keyboard language to see if it forces an update to the applications and resolves the issue?

Instructions:  http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/basics/change-keyboard-language

As well, Joe, can you break out your question about the fix for rotation/driving mode into a new thread and provide some more detail? 

Thanks,

Eli

• Marked as answer by Eli A Monday, October 14, 2013 8:46 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 7:45 PM
  • So I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920 for dev purpose only. I installed the preview GDDR 3 Update today and everything seemed fine. I was able to open everything based on the description.

Perhaps you can try to  reset the device to see if it all works. Before I installed the update,  I make sure that I did the following:

1) Update the device to "Amber"

2) Since this is a dev phone, I made sure that there was no app installed.

3) Reset the phone to make sure that there are no lapses.

4) Check to make sure that the device has been registered for development. You can use the windows phone development tool to register your device.

5) Download the app preview for developers from app store

6) Go to settings on the phone and start updating the phone.

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Hello Folks

Thanks,

Eli

Thanks Eli, this solution resolved all of my issues as I am able to use apps I installed prior to the update and I am also able to access the 'Drive Mode' and 'Screen Rotation' settings.  I think you were entirely on point with the thought that my phone hiccuped on the 'Migrating Your Data' phase of the update.

Thanks again!

Monday, October 14, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Eli - Adding the keyboard fixed all of the outstanding issues.  The rotation and driving mode issues were part of the symptoms listed in the original post and were fixed along with the app launch problem.

Joe Brinkman

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:17 AM
  • How long did it take you to download a new language? I've had the same situation come to my L920 upgrade to GDR3 but it's been over 15 mins and the Language hasn't downloaded yet.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Just a heads up that this was not a limited case - I also had the issue. Sadly - I reinstalled every app manually (before discovering the kbd solution).

I have a Lumia 925. A friend of mine had the same issue (using a Lumia 1020).

Update: Both the 925 and 1020 were unlocked devices
    • Edited by MFaro-Tusino Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Also had the issue happen on my 1020.  I didn't get the follow-up screen finalizing settings after the update.  Working on the keyboard fix now...
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Same thing happened to me last night during the latest update - also trying the kb fix now....
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:37 PM
  • This fixed the issue for me but I had to select another keyboard that wasn't previously downloaded and installed. This forced it to do another update which resolved the issue. Btw, I didnt see any "update finished" messages after the update that introduced the issue. Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:48 AM