Windows 8 Apps not for the App Store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developing business applications for clients who like Windows 8 - all those tiles, charms, AppBar etc. The question is: can I develop applications in Windows 8 style but not deploy them to the App Store? There is no need for those apps to be available in the App Store. Even more, as the apps give my clients competitive advantage, they should not be sold in the open market.

Also, I have a well-designed and robust data layer developed using .NET with support of Entity Framework and SQL Server. When I tried to reference my component in an App Store application I've found I can't do it. I can't even run SQL Server on WinRT :(

My clients are waiting for tablet devices with full Windows 8 (I heard such tables are going to be available in January 2013) and they are eager to see some business apps with Windows 8 tile-based user interface and the SQL Server backend.

Is it possible to develop such applications in Visual Studio 2012 (I have a Premium edition)?

Thanks,

Leszek

Wiki: wbswiki.com

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Leszek,

You can develop Windows Store apps and deploy them through a process called "side-loading". We understand the need to be able to deploy Windows Store style apps for line-of-business applications where you would not want to make the available to the public. Please see the following article for more information on how to do this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx

In terms of your question about SQL Server, it will be supported on Windows 8 Pro devices but there is no SQL database support in Windows Store apps at this time. One approach would be to use Windows.Storage.ApplicationData classes. The recommended approach would be to expose your data layer as a service which could then be consumed by the app. There is also SQLLite, which is a 3rd party option that you can use.

Best Regards,

Jimmie

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Leszek,

You can develop Windows Store apps and deploy them through a process called "side-loading". We understand the need to be able to deploy Windows Store style apps for line-of-business applications where you would not want to make the available to the public. Please see the following article for more information on how to do this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx

In terms of your question about SQL Server, it will be supported on Windows 8 Pro devices but there is no SQL database support in Windows Store apps at this time. One approach would be to use Windows.Storage.ApplicationData classes. The recommended approach would be to expose your data layer as a service which could then be consumed by the app. There is also SQLLite, which is a 3rd party option that you can use.

Best Regards,

Jimmie

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Jimmie - "side-loading" looks like a good solution.

Regarding the data access methods I understand that although SQL Server will be supported on Windows 8 Pro devices, there won't be any way to use it in Windows Store style apps - at least at this moment. Is it correct?

Although services look like a way to go, my clients work mostly in a disconnected environment and synchronize ocassionally with the main database (once a week or so). It means that I could use services only for synchronization but I have to use a database (probably SQLite) as a back end. Is it an architecture you would recommend?

Thanks,

Leszek

Wiki: wbswiki.com

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Doesn't side-loading involve some heavy lifting to get an update?  If we deploy an app like this to dozens of our internal users, what will they have to do to pick up an update?  With WinForms apps, it was automatic when they double-clicked to start the app.  

Are we seriously going to have to tell our users to open a command prompt and type paths and executables?

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:09 PM