Evaluation Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

At my work, we are looking into many different options for Windows licensing for testing, and I was wondering if TechNet was an option.  On the TechNet website, it mentions that the products are licensed for evaluation only, but I think it is a little vague in what that really means.  Here's our scenario:

We develop a software library, and support many different compilers and versions of Windows.  We would like to setup many different virtual machines with different configurations of Windows and Visual Studio.  This will be useful for testing our software in many different configurations, as well as debugging users' errors that are specific to a platform / compiler combination.  Ideally, we will have between 4-10 virtual machines, with a mix of Windows XP and Windows Vista (32- and 64-bit).

Would TechNet work for our needs, or is this outside the bounds of "evaluation"?  We have also looked into MSDN, but it is more inclusive and expensive than our current needs.

Thanks,
    Scott Wegner
    Monday, April 21, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

•  

TechNet:

What is the general nature of the terms of the TechNet Plus Subscription End User License Agreement?

The subscription terms vary based on your subscription level and license type. Each subscription license type entitles only the designated subscriber to use evaluation software, support incidents and access the TechNet Benefits Portal – no other users are entitled to use these resources.  A single-server subscription allows a workgroup to share the technical information library content only with others in their organization. For full details on use rights, see the TechNet Plus License Terms.

Can I use evaluation software received in my TechNet Plus subscription at home?

The license grants installation and use rights to one user only, for evaluation purposes, on any of the user’s devices, this may include devices at home. Keep in mind that you may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment.

MSDN:

Too much content to copy here, but take a look at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx#licensing

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Hi Scott,

This scenario doesn't fall under "evaluation" so the TechNet subscription license isn't appropriate for this scenario.  Evaluation would be if you're trying out the Microsoft software to determine if it's something you want to buy.  What you're doing here is software development and testing of your application, so the way to acquire the right licenses for this use is with MSDN subscriptions.  You'll need one MSDN subscription per user who is doing testng or development, but the good thing is that this (or these) licensed users can use the software on any number of machines.

Best regards,

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

•  

TechNet:

What is the general nature of the terms of the TechNet Plus Subscription End User License Agreement?

The subscription terms vary based on your subscription level and license type. Each subscription license type entitles only the designated subscriber to use evaluation software, support incidents and access the TechNet Benefits Portal – no other users are entitled to use these resources.  A single-server subscription allows a workgroup to share the technical information library content only with others in their organization. For full details on use rights, see the TechNet Plus License Terms.

Can I use evaluation software received in my TechNet Plus subscription at home?

The license grants installation and use rights to one user only, for evaluation purposes, on any of the user’s devices, this may include devices at home. Keep in mind that you may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment.

MSDN:

Too much content to copy here, but take a look at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx#licensing

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:35 PM
  • JHCairn,

Thanks for the reply.  I have seen this information elsewhere on the TechNet website.  However, it is still unclear whether our particular situation fits under the blanket of "evaluation use".  Our project will consist of:

One developer working on a number of Windows XP and Vista virtual machines under VMWare.  We will be testing our software on these virtual machines with a variety of compiler, platform, and hardware configurations.  Our testing will consist primarily of building our software and running it through a test suite and other metrics.  We will emulate users' hardware to fix bug reports.

The only software that we are looking to use from TechNet are Windows XP and Windows Vista, and will only be used by one user.  Other software has already been obtained with the proper licensing.  Are we within the bounds of the TechNet evaluation license for Windows?

Scott
    Monday, May 12, 2008 1:27 PM
  • From what you have outlined above, it sounds like it fits within the scope of "evalution". I am not a licensing guru though, but I can reach out to others if you would like. Let me know.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:59 AM
  • It would be nice to have some assurance.  If it's not to much trouble, do you think you could ask somebody that would have a definite answer?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:22 PM
  • I have forwarded to my contacts on the business side who should be able to address or know who can.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Hi Scott,

This scenario doesn't fall under "evaluation" so the TechNet subscription license isn't appropriate for this scenario.  Evaluation would be if you're trying out the Microsoft software to determine if it's something you want to buy.  What you're doing here is software development and testing of your application, so the way to acquire the right licenses for this use is with MSDN subscriptions.  You'll need one MSDN subscription per user who is doing testng or development, but the good thing is that this (or these) licensed users can use the software on any number of machines.

Best regards,

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Hi James,

Ok, this is kind of what I expected, but I wanted to make sure.  MSDN is too expensive for our minimal needs, so we will purchase individual licesense.

Thanks Julie and James for your help, very appreciated.

Scott
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:11 PM