Setting Application Directory Programmatically RRS feed

• Question

• User-895668603 posted

This should be a piece of cake, I'm sure, but I'm struggling to find an answer.  I'm using a VS 2008 web deployment project to install my web project.  I need to base the application path (or the site path, or wherever you call the place where all of the content is located) on a registry value.  Here's the scenario:

This app is an add-in for an existing app.  The existing app's install directory is stored in the registry.  I can easily fetch this directory using vb.net, but I'm not sure how to do this in the Web Deployment Project.  In fact, I'm not even sure how to set the application's install path.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

From your description, I understand that you want to add files to existed website that has been deployed on client, right?

If so, we need to access the registry to get where the website is installed and then copy your add-in to this path.

Web Deployment project is used to precompile website and copy the output to location we specify. It cannot access registry.

In this case, you can consider using Web Setup project in which we can use Custom Action to access registry and copy contents to right location.

For more information about such Setup project, see http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/06/15/tip-trick-creating-packaged-asp-net-setup-programs-with-vs-2005.aspx

I look forward to receiving your test results.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:03 AM