Should I be able to connect to agents in TFS 2010 Lab Center that are Physical? RRS feed

• Question

• Should I be able to connect to agents in Lab Center that are in a part of a Physical environment via right clicking the agent machine in the lab centers Environments tab  and selecting either "connect", "remote desktop" or "remote desktop to console"? They are actually virtual machines but hosted on VMM2012 so cannot integrate TFS2010 with it until we upgrade to TFS 2012 :(

I can see the Controller at a status of ready along with the agents and I can also execute tests on these machines I just can't seem to connect to them via lab manager to see whats happening on the machines. I can remote desktop using mstsc but that can interupt the execution of tests where as I have used the lab manager before which seems to not interupt the test

If this is intended for Virtual machines only, then I guess thats why but if not, is there some permission i am missing somewhere? I am a collection administrator so it should not be a problem.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Madmaximillion,

You can't connect to the machine in the Physical environment by right-clicking the "Connect" option, but you are able to connect with the "Remote desktop" and "Remote desktop to console" options.

Based on this MSDN article, you are only able to connect machines in the Microsoft Environment Viewer in deployed environment: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee518907.aspx However, we can only deploy environment for virtual environment. So, we can't connect to the machines in the Physical environment directly in the Microsoft Environment Viewer.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Madmaximillion,

You can't connect to the machine in the Physical environment by right-clicking the "Connect" option, but you are able to connect with the "Remote desktop" and "Remote desktop to console" options.

Based on this MSDN article, you are only able to connect machines in the Microsoft Environment Viewer in deployed environment: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee518907.aspx However, we can only deploy environment for virtual environment. So, we can't connect to the machines in the Physical environment directly in the Microsoft Environment Viewer.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:21 AM
  • When I select my physical environment in Lab Center and then on the right hand side right click an agent all options are disabled. From what you said, I understand that the "Connect" will be disabled as its not a virtual machine however "Remote desktop" and "Remote desktop to console" options are both disabled as well which from your reply above should be possible. I can Remote desktop using mstsc.exe so there must be some permissions somewhere disabling the options in Lab Center unless those too are not possible on physical machine.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 8:42 AM