none
Is the MSDN subscriber website programmed by interns? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a site for professional software developers.  Many of whom build applications that do things like sign up users, activate their accounts, etc.  None of this stuff is rocket science.  We do this stuff every day.

Yet the programming team behind MSDN is totally unable to achieve this.  For some reason, selling an MSDN subscription and letting the buyer log into the MSDN site in the same day is an insurmountable technical challenge.  

If we can build applications that do this quickly and competently, why can't the MSDN programmers get their act together?  

I just spent two hours trying to get the MSDN subscription that is available to me at microsoft.com/BizSpark to also be available to me at msdn.microsoft.com.  Attempting to activate the subscription either errors out with 

Unrecognized Subscription Data

, or just dumps a generic 500 error.  At the very least, shouldn't I get a consistent error message?

Seriously, is this site programmed by interns?

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:15 PM

All replies

• It's taken me 1.5 weeks, and 2 phone calls to Microsoft to achieve the same thing... but each time I try "Unrecognized Subscription Data" comes up, even though they sent me an email 1.5 weeks ago saying it was ready to download. The MSDN team are clearly useless.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Sorry about your experiences with our website guys.

For both of you:

Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions, and click the 'site feedback' link.   Fill out the form with as many details as you can provide, but especially both your Live ID Email address, and your Subscriber ID.

This will put an email in my inbox with your question and I will work with you individually on getting it resolved.

Sorry about whatever was causing this but I'm sure we can get it resolved.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:18 PM