none
Installing Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install windows server 2012 on my desktop.  I am taking a class on it at local community college.  I have downloaded everything I think I need.  I have a drive I am not using on my computer that I want to put it on.  When I am going through the install I get a message that states:  Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.  Windows can only be installed on GPT disks.  Do I have to make some adjustments to the disk drive that I want to use.  I am a beginner in all this so bear with me.  Also, will putting this on my computer affect my other drive that has Windows 8 installed?  Thanks,
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:07 PM

All replies

• Assuming you have two seperate drives, one for windows 8 and one for server 2012, this is fairly easy. However, it will result in the loss of data on the drive for server 2012, so back up any data stored on that disc before proceeding.

During the installation of server 2012, you'll be prompted to select a disk to install on. Select the disk you've prepared for server 2012. It has an MBR partition table on it already, so click advanced options, select the disk, and hit delete. Do not create the partition, select the raw data and click continue, and windows will create the partitions that it needs in the proper GPT format.

Friday, November 8, 2013 3:16 PM