none
Visual Basic book versus Academic version RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Visual Studio. net Academic 2003. When toiling thru code in the Visual Basic.Net "How to Program: Second Edition" book by Deitel, some exercises fail to work, i.e. buttons fail to appear or certain examples such as fig 12.24 fail to compile. I suspect there are either certain capabilities Not in the academic version OR my book used older syntax than my installed version. Any help most appreciated. I exist on SS$ and buying the latest version of VS is cost-prohibitive.
    Monday, July 30, 2012 10:35 PM

Answers

• You might want to look at this book:

Visual Basic, Step by step

And check out samples on codeproject.com and MSDN code samplesFind projects that do things that interest you. That is how I learned programming.

Dan Randolph - My Code Samples List

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:03 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thx for the reply.. My .Net is 1.1. My big concern was trying to sync - or find the problem - when

keying in a Fig n.n example from the Deitel book I have. The code appears to be exactly as published

in the book, however I suspect a difference 'tween the book and VB 2003 (.Net 1.1). That's OK, as I

am evaluating if VB will do what I want in the app I have in mind OR should I switch to C++ (perhaps

C#??) Basically I want to create a home-screen, have the user enter date to it and jump to dependent

screens based on cursor positioning or arrow-controls.

• Marked as answer by MtBrianBoru Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:27 PM

All replies

• You might want to look at this book:

Visual Basic, Step by step

And check out samples on codeproject.com and MSDN code samplesFind projects that do things that interest you. That is how I learned programming.

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:03 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

I'll check out your suggestions. I programmed several "old" systems, LOVE my Deitel book

but get fustrated when certain examples fail when I key them in and try to compile & run.

MTBrianBoru

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Which version of VB.NET are you using? There are many changes since 2003 in the field of VB.NET.

There are lots of resource so try to match what you are reading to the version of VB.NET you got installed. 

Check out the VB.NET forums for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/threads

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:52 PM
  • I think VS 2003 was still on .NET 1.1. Many new classes have been added since then (plus language features to support LINQ). There might even be errors in the book. ASP.NET has been in major flux with each release of Visual Studio.

You should try the free VS 2010 express editions download or the VS 11 Release Candidate downloads.

Sometimes you can learn a lot just figuring out what needs to be changed to get the sample to work. This has many advantages because it is rare to start from scratch on a project.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thx for the reply.. My .Net is 1.1. My big concern was trying to sync - or find the problem - when

keying in a Fig n.n example from the Deitel book I have. The code appears to be exactly as published

in the book, however I suspect a difference 'tween the book and VB 2003 (.Net 1.1). That's OK, as I

am evaluating if VB will do what I want in the app I have in mind OR should I switch to C++ (perhaps

C#??) Basically I want to create a home-screen, have the user enter date to it and jump to dependent

screens based on cursor positioning or arrow-controls.

• Marked as answer by MtBrianBoru Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Hi Mtbrian,

Thank you for posting on this forum.

For such purpose, VB is fine.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:20 PM