Coded UI Test Incompatible with Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that this is an old issue, just wanting to check if there're any better solutions now.

When I'm recording the test in Visual Studio 2012, the Coded UI Builder cannot "see" the Email list pane in Outlook. It cannot be selected with add assertion tool. Playing back the recording of dragging an email from the list to a navigation panel folder fails. However it works with Visual Studio 2010, yet the drag and drop is just dragging from a point instead of finding the actual element control in the email list pane. 

Does anybody know a better way around this, other than building coded ui test extensions?

Thanks in advance! 

Tony

Tony

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Tony,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

When I'm recording the test in Visual Studio 2012, the Coded UI Builder can "see" the Email box such as Inbox in Outlook. I can drag crosshair on the Inbox and add assertions for its Name property. And the assertion can succeed.

But you are right that it can’t recognize the Email list pane.

When I drag an email to a folder on desktop, the test will fail because “the playback failed to find the control with the given search properties” in VS2010 and VS2012. Coded UI Test Builder recognizes the email pane under Inbox as Custom control.

I did some research and know that Coded UI Test does not support recoding on Office apps. I think you need to write extension to enable Coded UI Test to support Office product.

You can refer to Rajeev and Shubhra’s reply in the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/2524a3a6-4f6a-47e5-8d80-e799b929bedf

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:23 AM