none
Is U-SQL Development really so rough around the edges?

Question

• Using Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 sure makes one feel like bleeding edge when development U-SQL. All sorts of idiosyncrasies. A couple of years ago I tried SOA Suite development with Oracle. Wow! What a trip down the rabbit hole. Very very rough around the edges. I'm reminded of that experience as I work with U-SQL development. Things don't work. Projects get messed up just by renaming a file.

So I'm wondering: is it that bad, or am I doing something wrong?

Monday, August 14, 2017 6:40 PM

Answers

• Very sorry for the inconvenience Vern. Application busy is bug and we are fixing it. We will have our developer to look at the renaming issue. Please contact me at yanacai@microsoft.com if possible as our developer may need your help to reproduce the issue.

• Marked as answer by Vern Martin Monday, August 28, 2017 11:57 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:22 AM

All replies

• I'd be happy to help.  Can you please be a little more specific on what doesn't work?

Thank you,

Guy

Monday, August 14, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Summary: (1) source control management has issues and worse (2) I'm constantly bumping into "application busy" errors. I'll take you through the source control management first and then the application busy errors in the following:

I use Visual Studio 2015

#2 I create a new project with TFS source control, so File->New Project->Azure Data Lake->U-SQL Project

#3 The project template gives me a Script.sql file. I immediately try to rename it to something more meaningful to me. I right click on Script.sql and choose "rename", I see a dialog that tells me that Script.usql was not renamed in the source control database because there is already an item with this name in the destination folder:

I actually see this message twice. Now I see that the script seems to have been renamed despite the warnings:

I investigate further by using the source control explorer and I see that Script.sql is still hanging around and I do have a usql script named as I had requested. But why is Script.sql still hanging around? It should have been renamed. This means I must do some manual clean up in source code control which I would only extremely rarely if ever have to do if this were a C# console application, MVC, etc.

#3 So I start writing a little U-SQL:

I right click on the job and submit it to run locally and it runs just fine:

Now I start to modify and work with it, testing it incrementally, and in a matter of minutes I see the busy error:

I try to submit the job again: no apparent result. Not sure what it's doing. So, I explicitly clean the project and try again. So Build->Clean Solution and submit again. It runs again.

And so begins the dance: I change things, I try to submit, often I get the "application is busy" error. I clean the solution, build it explicitly, whatever I think *might* get it to run again.

Very unproductive way to work -- especially since prepping the U-SQL to run takes 10-15 seconds of waiting.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Very sorry for the inconvenience Vern. Application busy is bug and we are fixing it. We will have our developer to look at the renaming issue. Please contact me at yanacai@microsoft.com if possible as our developer may need your help to reproduce the issue.

• Marked as answer by Vern Martin Monday, August 28, 2017 11:57 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:22 AM
  • Back in the office after vacation. Sending you e-mail. Thanks!
    Monday, August 28, 2017 11:54 AM