Can I have a single web application for PC users as well as mobile users RRS feed

• Question

• User731069546 posted

Or should I make 2 separate web apps?

The ASP.NET for PC based browsers is already done. Can I just add mobile pages to this app and when a user logs using a mobile device, just transfer them to the mobile pages?

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• User-1179442337 posted

it is very possible to make 1 web app to deliver content to mobile or pc, depending on what exactly it is yr trying to accomplish with the web app.

keeping in mind that, mobile devices are small, lower in memory, and dont support evthing that a normal web browser would do.

to answer yr second question, you could do that aswell, make seperate pages for mobile users, and have them redirected.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:37 AM
  • User469222686 posted

My advice would be yes, that's the way to go.

For me the theory was one thing but the real-world was something completely different. The way a mobile device constructs a page is so completely and utterly different to the way a device running 'proper' IE does that it was impossible for me to create single pages that looked anything like reasonable on both. I ended up with two separate sets of pages which is a pain to maintain but the only viable solution for me. Remember to keep anything non-ui paramaterised and out of the webform so you can re-use it for both.

FYI - I tested using WM 2003SE and WM5. I found big differences between the two but I think this is down to Javascript support (most of the pages which work in 2003SE no longer work under WM5).

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:29 AM
  • User-1361599924 posted
    You can probably make it work, but you need to have a hard think about whether such an approach will meet all your requirements. Mobile web apps have a very cut down set of what you can do because of the sheer variability of device clients you might have to serve content to. Especially for script etc. How rich do you want your main web app to be?

The last time I had to use some of the mobile screens in our main site I used an IFRAME to include those screens in the main portal page.That's one avenue of re-use you could explore
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:10 PM
  • User731069546 posted

I think maybe my original question wasn't clear.

I will be using separate pages for Mobile users while PC based users will be provided a richer interface. But the core logic will remain the same and I can use the same code, like for database access , whether the client is a PC or mobile phone. This works OK.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:48 PM
  • User-1361599924 posted
    OK then. We exposed the main methods we needed as web services and also made sure they supported Remoting (in case the web service marshalling didn't give us enough performance). The main portal and the mobile portal were able to call these methods to get their working data. Later we also syndicated our services to other web sites using these same web services.

To cut a long story short, sharing your core logic is no problem if the methods are designed properly and you've given due consideration to performance.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:02 PM