Unable to Use runsettings file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I had added and selected runsettings file in my solution.

While deploying code on environment it wont work.

The runsettings file contains path of TestResult folder configured.

I am running my test through command line

Please guide

Regards, Firoj Awate

Monday, December 22, 2014 10:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Firoj,

In my opinion, the cause should be not on any flag at any of Test Agents config file. For the issue on running test with mstest.exe, I suggest submitting a feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal to get this issue diagnosed by VS product team: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

You don’t need to install VSTest.console.exe. It is installed with Visual Studio. You can use it in Developer Command Prompt for VS2013 like you use mstest.exe.

About how to run test with vstest.console.exe commands, please reference this document:

VSTest.Console.exe command-line options

Example:

vstest.console.exe  myTestFile.dll /Settings:Local.RunSettings /InIsolation /TestCaseFilter:"Priority=1" /Logger:trx

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:14 AM edit
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Firoj Awate Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Firoj,

If you are using mstest.exe, please add /testsettings option(Example: /testsettings:run.runsettings) in the command line run to use the runsettings file for the test run.

If you are using vstest.console.exe, please add /Settings(Example: /Settings:Local.RunSettings) to the command line.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:32 AM
  • Got below error while running through mstest.exe

Loading ReadThreadSettings.runsettings...
    ReadThreadSettings.runsettings
    The file 'ReadThreadSettings.runsettings' has unknown format and cannot be converted to the current version.

Below are contents of batch file

C:
    MSTest.exe /Testcontainer:"C:\RoSAutomation\RedThreadTest.dll" /Test:KKLabRequest /TestSettings:ReadThreadSettings.runsettings

Below is format of runsettings file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <RunSettings>

<RunConfiguration>

<ResultsDirectory>F:\myResultsFolder</ResultsDirectory>

</RunConfiguration>

</RunSettings>

Regards, Firoj Awate

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:57 AM
  • Hi Firoj,

I got the same issue with you. But I was able to run tests with run settings file from mstest command line successfully before. I tried to run the test from Test Explorer, the test could run successfully and the run settings file got used correctly.

I tried to run the same test with VSTest.console.exe: VSTest.Console.exe command-line options, test can run successfully and run settings file gets used fine.

Reference:

vstest.console.exe UnitTestProject.dll /Settings:Runsettings1.runsettings /Logger:trx

Please try this workatound.

Thanks,

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:50 AM
  • I cannot install VSTest console and restricted to use MSTest.exe

Is there any flag need to enable at any of Test Agents config files?

Regards, Firoj Awate

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:14 AM
  • Hi Firoj,

In my opinion, the cause should be not on any flag at any of Test Agents config file. For the issue on running test with mstest.exe, I suggest submitting a feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal to get this issue diagnosed by VS product team: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

You don’t need to install VSTest.console.exe. It is installed with Visual Studio. You can use it in Developer Command Prompt for VS2013 like you use mstest.exe.

About how to run test with vstest.console.exe commands, please reference this document:

VSTest.Console.exe command-line options

Example:

vstest.console.exe  myTestFile.dll /Settings:Local.RunSettings /InIsolation /TestCaseFilter:"Priority=1" /Logger:trx

Thanks,

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:14 AM edit
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Firoj Awate Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:00 AM
  • Hi Firoj,

Merry Christmas to you.

Whether you resolved that issue on your side? I recommend that you use VSTest.console.exe to run tests with runsettings remotelly.

If you have any result, please feel free to come back.

Thanks,

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:15 AM edit
    Friday, December 26, 2014 6:51 AM