none
Task Pane App for Office with External Content / Authorization RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of developing a task pane app for Excel that is an extension of a site I own.

I have read that it is possible to use iframes and host the entire app on a host (ex: http://mysite.com/app ), and not need to do any development at all.  Essentially it would just be an iframe in the excel taskpane that shows my site with the same functionality. How do I go about setting this up if it is possible?

If it's not possible, what is the best methods for dealing with user accounts.  My website allows users to login so they can save information to their profile. How could I set it up so that an user can login through the excel taskpane and then retrieve information from their profile?

Thanks

Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, you want to know how to load a task pane app for Excel with an existing website.

As far as I know, you don’t need to do any development.

You need to create a new task pane app for Excel, then change the SourceLocation of manifest like this (eg. load bing search, you can input your own site address):

<DefaultSettings>
        <SourceLocation DefaultValue="http://www.bing.com" />
      </DefaultSettings>

Then run the app locally, you can find the app would load successfully:

Then, you need to public the manifest using any of ways below:

Publishing to the Office Store
    Publishing task pane and content apps to an app catalog
    Publishing task pane and content apps to a shared network folder

After that, users can find the app from App experience for end-users like this:

>> What is the best methods for dealing with user accounts <<

This can be done in your web application. Users need to login in from you website then goto the profile. It is the same behavior in Task pane apps for Excel.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 10, 2014 10:07 AM