none
Application pinned to task bar but newer versions not updating application RRS feed

• Question

• I have published a VS 2010 application to a network server and then created a shortcut on user's desktops to the application.  One user then started the application and pinned it to their taskbar.  I made a couple of updates to the application over the past month, republished, and assumed users were receiving the updated version of the application.  Unfortunately, the user that pinned the application to their taskbar continued to used the pinned application on the taskbar and was still using the original version of the application and had not received the updates.  Is it not possible to pin an application to the taskbar and receive updated deployments?  Thanks
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:48 PM

All replies

• Steve, 

Although not a question for this forum. If you want help about the taskbar, then tell at least what OS, the version of Visual Studio is absolute not important, if the used framework is the same it creates the same assembly with VS2005 and VS2017 and every one in between.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Best option is to inform users to un-pin and then pin the newer version. I've seen paid software (SnagIt was a recent one for me) have the exact same issue. Other than that you would need to automate the process which is no small feat.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:36 PM
  • I don't think you can pin an application from a network share so it sounds like it was copied locally. Did you check the Task Manager (under Processes) to see where the application is running from?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:59 PM