special characters embedded news cut and paste RRS feed

• Question

• User889701626 posted

I'm having trouble when trying to cut and paste news articles from word into a news article.  I believe the issue is related to embedded special characters.  Does anyone know the limitations of this?  Any idea how to prevent the problem?  An example would be cutting and pasting the following from word into the news (login: pastor password: church!) site: http://www.kolterman.com/news_list.aspx

<begin cut and paste example>

The last three questions from the Confirmation Service go like this:

Q - DO YOU INTEND TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD AND RECEIVE THE LORD'S SUPPER FAITHFULLY?

A - I do, by the grace of God.

Q - DO YOU INTEND TO LIVE ACCORDING TO THE WORD OF GOD, AND IN FAITH, WORD, AND DEED TO REMAIN TRUE TO GOD, FATHER, SON, AND HOLY SPIRIT, EVEN TO DEATH?

Q - DO YOU INTEND TO CONTINUE SSTEADFAST IN THIS CONFESSION AND CHURCH AND SUFFER ALL, EVEN DEATH, RATHER THAN FALL AWAY FROM IT?

<end example>

Thanks for the help.

Monday, April 9, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

• User-1942720949 posted

Depending what special characters you want to enter, the following might help you: 

I had problems entering special (Hungarian) characters in a three-language site developed by Clubsite Starter Kit (www.helikonfestival.nl), until I figured out that the data type used in the underlying database should be modified a little bit.

In the tables Albums, Announcements, Events, images, Locations, MemberInfo the DataType for text fields are defined as varchar. To support other languages, they should be changed to nvarchar.  (The nvarchar data type supports Unicode characters. This is needed if different languages are used.)

In the other tables used by the Clubsite starter kit (e.g. asp_net_Users, etc. ..) everywhere nvarchar are used as DataType.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:11 AM
  • User-80939892 posted

Paste from MS Word (formatted) to Notepad (not formatted), then copy/paste to the asp.net text box (not formatted).

Note: I do not recomend using formatted content (FCKeditor or other) for news/events/locations record description fields... This list pages for these grap the first 50 chars to display so some of any formatting data may not be complete. In adition, without special pretreat some chars (>,<,',[,]...) may cause a db error when saving records. You can use FCKeditor or other formated editor for content when the resulting HTML is conditioned prior to saving into db.

Hope this helps,

Jerome - www.jeromessite.com

Monday, April 16, 2007 6:38 PM