Create custom Logon Account RRS feed

• Question

• The SQL Server service on my local system is currently running on 'Local Service' account. I want to run it using a new account I have created say 'XYZ'. I have created this user and added the user to the 'SQLServerMSASUser$xxxx$MSSQLSERVER' group. Now when I start the service with XYZ account. I get 'error 1069: The service did not start due to login failure'. The account also has admin rights.

I want to know how do I grant Log on permissions to a new account that I create.

Appreciate your response...

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:42 PM

Answers

•  and added the user to the 'SQLServerMSASUser$xxxx$MSSQLSERVER' group.

MSAS = Analysis Service; this group has no relation to the database engine; see Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions how to do it right.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:32 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Add first the account to SQL Server security with membership to "SysAdmin" role, then use the "SQL Server Configuration Manager" to change the SQL Server service account.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Sudhakar,

Logon to the machine as the service account, since it is an admin on the box this shouldn't be a problem.  It will also confirm that there isn't a problem with the account username/password.   The account may be locked out if you tried to start the service with this username and password.

In the configuration manager verify that the username and password are correct, the service should start right up.  Please see the following article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345578.aspx

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:56 PM
  •  and added the user to the 'SQLServerMSASUser$xxxx$MSSQLSERVER' group.

MSAS = Analysis Service; this group has no relation to the database engine; see Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions how to do it right.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:50 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Thank you seraz for your reply. I am aware of the steps mentioned in the link that you provided. I performed the same steps but with no avail. I get the same error mentioned in my first post.

My query is simple...

I have created a user : xyz.. what should I do .. so that when I change the LOG ON for SQL SERVER service as 'xyz' I wont get any error and the service starts.... I hope I am clear with my query.

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Add first the account to SQL Server security with membership to "SysAdmin" role, then use the "SQL Server Configuration Manager" to change the SQL Server service account.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:53 PM