Input string was not in a correct format RRS feed

• Question

• User-1499457942 posted

Hi

In below code i get above error

SqlCommand cmdContribution = new SqlCommand("Select Sum(Amount) from [Data] where Location = @Location", con);
                                                    cmdContribution.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Location", (dt.Rows[i]["Location"]).ToString());

SqlDataAdapter adContribution = new SqlDataAdapter(sqlCommand);
                                                    DataTable dt = new DataTable();
                                                    adC.Fill(dt);
                                                    if (dt.Rows.Count > 0)
                                                    {
                                                        m_Achieved = Convert.ToDecimal(dt.Rows[0][0].ToString());
                                                    }

Thanks

Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:45 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Most likely the line of code below because dt.Row[0][0] does not contain a decimal and you have not added any validation checks.  

There's other code smells too like the following.... Seems to indicate a loop but there is not enough code to guess.

cmdContribution.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Location", (dt.Rows[i]["Location"]).ToString());

Set a breakpoint and step through your code.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:59 PM
  • User-1499457942 posted

Hi

I want to get the Sum of Amount. How it can be done in the fastest way

Thanks

Thursday, September 27, 2018 6:08 PM
  • User475983607 posted

JagjitSingh

I want to get the Sum of Amount. How it can be done in the fastest way

Hold on... Let me look into my crystal ball... Ah yes... Set a breakpoint and check the value of  dt.Rows[0][0].

Also, it looks like you have a logical bug as dt is defined twice?  It could be the error happens one the second loop.  This would be very obvious if you made even a slight effort to debug.

SqlCommand cmdContribution = new SqlCommand("Select Sum(Amount) from [Data] where Location = @Location", con);

SqlDataAdapter adContribution = new SqlDataAdapter(sqlCommand);
    DataTable dt = new DataTable();
    adC.Fill(dt);
    if (dt.Rows.Count > 0)
    {
    }

Lastly, use ExecuteScalar to return a single value.  It's a waste to invoke an SqlDataAdapter to fill a DataTable with one value.  you've been given this advice in the past...

Are you trying to get the Sum of every location?

Thursday, September 27, 2018 6:26 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

You really can get 0 row rather than 1 ? If you expect always one row, one column you could use ExecuteScalar.

m_Achieved=(decimal)cmd.ExecuteScalar();

I assume m_Achieved is a deicmal. To get back at your source error, when it happens you should start by looking at the string you are trying to convert. Also you convert the column value to a string and then back to its type. Instead you could cast it or use https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.data.datarowextensions?view=netframework-4.7.2 which allows to read the value directly using :

var value=dt.Rows[i].Field<decimal>("MyColumn");

Thursday, September 27, 2018 6:35 PM
  • User-1716253493 posted

Try this

m_Achieved = Convert.ToDecimal(dt.Rows[0][0]);

Friday, September 28, 2018 12:38 AM