none
New VS Community installation freezes on startup

Question

• Win 10 14965 32

Just reinstalled vs_community__2129420385.1480379106.exe after uninstall last month. Program appears to have installed correctly. Opening window is visible but dead. Have to kill the process to remove it. (I first tried iso download but encountered an error at beginning of installation.) Attached comment is displayed before showing the window. Can't get to 'Import and Export Settings'. Also attached is a shot of the opening window.  

• Edited by pwhgoia Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:03 AM

Answers

• Well, I had some success. There were leftover bits on the computer that Revo missed and which survived various upgrades. Found a program, TotalUninstaller <https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases>. Written specifically for VS and not to be confused with another app of the same name. Worked very well and found a lot of leftovers. Install of VS went well and it is up and running right now. 
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:58 PM

All replies

• Well, I had some success. There were leftover bits on the computer that Revo missed and which survived various upgrades. Found a program, TotalUninstaller <https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases>. Written specifically for VS and not to be confused with another app of the same name. Worked very well and found a lot of leftovers. Install of VS went well and it is up and running right now. 
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Hi pwhgoia,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you very much for your sharing, that the TotalUninstaller tool help you to complete remove the VS.

BTW, if you think your reply is helpful for other community members who have the same or similar issue, could you please mark it as answer and that will help them to easier search your solution, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:56 AM