none
Email tracking app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are developing an email tracking application to identify number of times an email is opened

Following are the steps what we are doing to achieve this

-          1. we embedded a tracking url while sending an email, which get called at the recipient location                                                   2. This helps us to track the number times the email open count in our node server which sits in our Data Center DMZ

Issue : The tracking URL also called when the sender of the email tries to open his / her email from sent items folder, so the tracking count increases (need a solution for this)

ThaScenario 2 - The embedded URL gets called everytime the recipient opens the mail, so we get the count 

Issue : the URL also gets called when the user clicks on reply / reply all / forward, the email count increases this should not happen as well  need a solution for this as well

Someone Pls Help 

Friday, February 27, 2015 10:27 PM

All replies

• Need an help on email tracking application

How to avoid tracking count increase while receiver clicks on reply / reply all / forward, this action item increase the tracking count by 2 numbers

How to avoid increase in the tracking count when I click on my email in the sent item folder

Thanks in Advance

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

This forum is for develoeprs discussing developing issues about apps for Office.

What do you mean the email tracking appliation? Is it a third-part tool? If I understood correctly, I suggest that you get support from the vendor of this application.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Did you develop a Mail App or an Outlook Add-in?

According to your description, I think the behavior is expected since the embedded URL will be called when displaying the content (reply and forward will also include the original message).

To track the message you sent in Outlook, I think you can achieve it through Get delivery and read receipt confirmations.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hi

Its a Outlook Add-in, it works for most cases, but when receiver clicks on reply or forward, the tracking count increases to 2, is there a way to avoid the tracking counts when the end user clicks or "reply", "reply all" or "forward"

Thanks

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:41 AM
  • Hi,

Is this add-in developed by yourself? If yes, would you mind sharing some code snippet about increasing the count?

If not, I suggest that you get support from the Offical site of the third-part tool.

Regards & Fei

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:25 AM
  • > We are developing an email tracking application to identify number of times an email is opened

The forum is for developers. So, it is expected to see the code you use to track emails. Nobody can give you the definitive answer until you show the code.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:15 AM