none
Did anything replace the "Page Description" (PGD) Structure RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that earlier versions of MS Word Binary format included a page description table (referenced by the "pgdMother" in the FIB. This seems to be deprecated in later versions of the documentation. Did this get replaced by some other structure? The specific item I'm looking for is the page descriptor[s] that include the "Page Number as printed" (I'm referencing the "Word97-2007BinaryFileFormat(doc)Specification.PDF", page 174.)

Otherwise, in general, is there a way to find in the binary file format the page number associated with a particular block of text?

Mike

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike, thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm looking into this for you. Stay tuned and I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:25 AM
  • Hi Mike,

The PGD struct that was stored in the Table stream is no longer read or written as of Word 2000.

This is documented in the current [MS-DOC] specification:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd905534(v=office.12).aspx

Look for "fcPgdMotherOldOld (4 bytes)" and the associated behavior note, "<30>".

This previously held cached pagination and layout information for the document (and even then was not always reliable). There are no equivalent structs or fields that are written into the Word binary format that will give this information. Calculating the page number given a CP or section reference would require paginating/laying out the document up to that point which is not a trivial or simple algorithmic task.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 11:52 PM
  • Thank you,Tom; I had surmised as much from the documentation but wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything or there was another way to do this. I assume that the page numbers as seen and printed on hard copy are calculated at run time after the document is laid out, but not stored in the file.

Mike

Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:52 PM
  • That's correct.
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:03 PM