none
plug and play architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am looking to develop an application with various independent modules in asp.net. Can anyone provide with some links on good resources on this plug and play type architecture.
    for example i have components like project management system, document management system which can work independently as well can be attatched into a common application
    Cheers
    Prady
    Friday, May 2, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers

• Take a look at WCSF (WebClient Software Factory) It should give what you are looking for. 

On highlevel, it has "Shell" out of the box, which can host several LOB applications like Time tracking, policy administration, etc.,  Same can be extended for what you are looking for Project management system and document managent system.

If you want desktop based app, look into smart client software factory scsf...
    Friday, May 2, 2008 3:26 PM
  • As an alternative you could look at dotnetnuke or Office Live (if you can find the developers webcasts 'cause I can't remember where they are!) or just plain old Sharepoint.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 8:45 AM

All replies

• Take a look at WCSF (WebClient Software Factory) It should give what you are looking for. 

On highlevel, it has "Shell" out of the box, which can host several LOB applications like Time tracking, policy administration, etc.,  Same can be extended for what you are looking for Project management system and document managent system.

If you want desktop based app, look into smart client software factory scsf...
    Friday, May 2, 2008 3:26 PM
  • As an alternative you could look at dotnetnuke or Office Live (if you can find the developers webcasts 'cause I can't remember where they are!) or just plain old Sharepoint.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

I always answer with this when the question is asked, as it has worked nicely in the past, use a strategy and factory pattern together, also known as a provider pattern.  The strategy pattern provider the specific implementations (pm, document manager system, etc) or links to their object models at least, and the factory can be used to create the provider, or specific implementations.  I would use a manager class to aggregate the functionality from the strategy pattern, and the factory pattern, using configuration settings from somewhere to define which plugins are enabled within the system, and so that the common application can make calls to that manager class to use it to communicate between the added-in applications.

I hope that helps,

Martin Platt.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:12 PM