Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit RRS feed

• Question

• User800249748 posted

I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:02 AM

All replies

• User-1887695735 posted

I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:52 AM
  • User-1887695735 posted

I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get it to do something, like adding members.  So, last night, I downloaded the Codeplex Club Site Starter Kit.  Now this one is awesome.  It has some documentation that went a long way to getting me started on the right track.  It is easy to use and has some really good features.  It may have been easier partly due to my having already worked with the first one, and partly because I am using SQL Express at home and had already figured out that you needed to attach the database.  But, everything comes ready to go, in this version and the neat thing is that you and others can contribute to the future development.  So, I am going to stick with this one.

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:47 AM
  • User523970105 posted

I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?

This is just my opinion as a part-time asp.net hack, but here's my take on it:

The Club Starter Kit (CSK) is the original.  It really caught on and this forum was quite active for quite awhile.  Although it had some bugs and wasn't really designed to be very extensible, it was used to produce quite a few live club web sites.  The activity has died down significantly, but there is a *lot* of information buried in this forum on fixing the various bugs, adding some new features, and getting it working with some hosting companies.

There were requests to add additional capability and features - which led to the Extended Club Starter Kit (ECSK).  For whatever reason, the ECSK never seemed to cause much activity in this forum.  My site, based on the original CSK, was already in production by the time the ECSK came out and I didn't find any new "must have" features to cause me to make the switch.  From what I recall, the ECSK shared much of the original CSK code.

The CSK 2.0 is a separate project designed to take the CSK to a new level - new features, eliminate bugs, etc.  It is a fairly significant depature from the original CSK (major code changes).  Although it has some nice features, I haven't switched to it because I would have to redo all of the customization that I've done to my production site.  Since the code is quite different, that would be a major effort that just isn't worth it at this point.

If I were starting from scratch today, I would *probably* go with the CSK 2.0.  The only hesitation is that I don't know how well it works with hosting companies that use medium trust (like GoDaddy.com).

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:55 AM