Access the remote resources in a workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement in my c# application to access the files of another computer which are in C drive, from my computer.The computers are in the workgroup and the remote computer UAC is enabled.

But unable to access those remote resources.

What I have tried:

Remotely changing the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to 1 is working, but on the remote computer , in the permissions list of that LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, the users must be given full control. But this is not helpful for me.

I have also tried the impersonation, but no luck.

Is there any solution for this?
    Monday, May 28, 2018 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Akshay Deeti,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, do you know the file location in remote machine?

Please download the source file from code project for reference. It shows how to view a remote machine's file system using your own explorer like window.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1185064/Remote-File-System-viewing-and-file-transfer-using

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Thanks for the response Wendy Zang,

Yeah, I know the file location in the remote machine.

But , the answer which you have given works even in a workgroup as well?(without changing the security setting like policy setting,.. on the remote machine)

I have actually come across this,

"In a workgroup, the account connecting to the remote computer is a local user on that computer. Even if the account is in the Administrators group, UAC filtering means that a script runs as a standard user. A best practice is to create a dedicated local user group or user account on the target computer specifically for remote connections."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa826699(v=vs.85).aspx

please answer this also.

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:03 AM
  • Hi Akshay Deeti,

Thank you for feedback.

The account in the group, when you connect to the remote computer, it would not have admin permission under UAC filtering.

The security must be adjusted to be able to use this account because the account never has had administrative privileges. You could refer to the solutions in the link you provided.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Thanks Wendy Zang for your response.

I was just looking for the solution, without adjusting the security(UAC Filtering).

But , It is not possible right(without adjsuting the UAC Filtering/security)?

Friday, June 8, 2018 5:23 AM