Wildcard for one character RRS feed

• Question

• User894843721 posted

I need to create LDAP query to search for computer names that have "a" as the first character and "b" as the third character, the wildcard * will not work. any suggestions are appreciated.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:26 PM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Try http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5392.active-directory-ldap-syntax-filters.aspx which doesn't seems to list this.

So you'll likely have to use a* and filter the result yourself. In this particular case a specialized LDAP forum could be better as a LDAP expert could answer without having to know anything about ASP.NET (I never noticed such as single character wildcard but as an ASP.NET dev only had a simple/basic use of LDAP).

From another document, it seems prefix*, *suffix and even *middle* can have some indexing support . My guess is that a single character wildcard has not been considered usefull enough especially if it gives a low performance...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:02 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Try http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5392.active-directory-ldap-syntax-filters.aspx which doesn't seems to list this.

So you'll likely have to use a* and filter the result yourself. In this particular case a specialized LDAP forum could be better as a LDAP expert could answer without having to know anything about ASP.NET (I never noticed such as single character wildcard but as an ASP.NET dev only had a simple/basic use of LDAP).

From another document, it seems prefix*, *suffix and even *middle* can have some indexing support . My guess is that a single character wildcard has not been considered usefull enough especially if it gives a low performance...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:02 PM
  • User894843721 posted

Thanks PatriceSc, appreciate your help and time.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:43 PM