contributors group ManageBranch security in TFS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are moving from Visual Source Safe to TFS 2010. Based on the branching recommendations we would like to use the New branching (2010), not the 2008 version of branching. However the Contributors group by default has ManageBranch not set, resulting in the 2008 branches.

Would it be advisable to set that security for all within the Contributors group?  Could the security of the base group be set so that all new Team Projects automatically get Manage Branch?

Randy Schultz
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hello Randy,

I am very sorry to say that you need to do so every time after you create one new team project.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ransch Friday, August 12, 2011 2:56 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:40 AM

All replies

• Would it be advisable to set that security for all within the Contributors group?

Randy, this would entirely depend on the team. I'll take an example, currently i am administrating TFS for an small agile team where each developer in the team has over 3-5 years of experience working with TFS and understand the capabilities and limitations of Team Foundation Merging and Branching quite well. This way, giving all members in the team manage branch rights seems like an intelligent decision since it gets rid of the bottle neck that i would create for them other wise. Having said that, previously i was managing TFS for a very large team based in India, the team size was over 300 and not all users were very affluent with the branching and merging concepts. We slowely took away permissions from various users and limited the merge and branch permissions to a limited group of senior memebers in each teams. This results in a balanced workflow where the junior members would complete their task, get it code reviewed and then would have the senior members merge their code across branches for them, to be honest this worked pretty well for a large team. So, based on the team you have their, you would have to take a call on whether it is worth giving this access to every one in the contributor group.

Could the security of the base group be set so that all new Team Projects automatically get Manage Branch?

Yes, it is possible. You will have to configure initial groups, permissions and users by customizing the process template and then further upload the modified process template to the team foundation server collection, now all new projects you create with the teamplate will be set up with the initial groups, users and permissions you added while modifiying the template. See this msdn walkthrough on how to do this => http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380669.aspx.

HTH
    Cheers, Tarun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:22 AM
  • Hello Randy,

Thanks for your post.

Apart from Tarun’s great post, I also have some addition information, hopeful it can help you.

In my opinion whether you grant the Manage Branch permission for the users in the Contributor group or not based on your own requirement just as Tarun mentioned above. And it is better if you better understand what the Manage Branch permission used for. Based on the TFS Permissions article,

Users who have Manage Branch permission for a given path can convert any folder under that path into a branch. Users with this permission can also take the following actions on a branch: edit its properties, re-parent it, and convert it to a folder.

Users who have Manage Branch permission can branch this branch only if they also have the Merge permission for the target path. Users cannot create branches from a branch for which they do not have the Manage Branch permission.

So you can grant this permission for these appropriate users.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  I will try to grant our developers that security and see how things go.  (We do not have a TFS admin so a few of us have been filling that role temporarily.)

The link you included does not appear to be of any help since those security assignments are only Team Explorer items and not the Solution Explorer items.

Randy Schultz
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Hello Randy,

To grant the users in the Contributors group, you can right-click the team project in the Source Explorer, and click Properties. On the Security tab, click the [TeamProjectName]\Contributors group and check the Allow checkbox for the Manage Branch permission.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Yes I could have the person who creates the team projects make that configuration change every time that a new team project is created. 

I prefer to eliminate the need for that configuration change. which is why it would be nice to modify the template for the Contributors group.

Randy Schultz
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hello Randy,

I am very sorry to say that you need to do so every time after you create one new team project.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Ransch Friday, August 12, 2011 2:56 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:40 AM