none
.Net framework 4.0 Install problem - Install sits at 0% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently bought a game which requires .Net Framework 4.0 to be installed. While this is great, I don't seem to be able to install it. I've used both a download client and a standalone version to install it. Extracting and verifying the contents of the file aren't a problem, but once it starts installing, it gets stuck at: Installing .Net framework Client Profile, which is right at the beginning. 

Eventually the install fails because "The service has not been started". It offers a log as well, which is shown below:

OS Version = 6.0.6001, Platform 2, Service Pack 1

OS Description = Vista - x86 Business Edition Service Pack 1

CommandLine = C:\0377eb9520a3f5d2d2b93847\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64

Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Installing

Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup

Package Version = 4.0.30319

User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled

Number of applicable items: 11

Exe (C:\0377eb9520a3f5d2d2b93847\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.

Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt

ServiceControl operation succeeded!

Exe (C:\0377eb9520a3f5d2d2b93847\Windows6.0-KB956250-v6001-x86.msu) failed with 0x426 - The service has not been started. .

Exe Log File: CBS.log

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x00000426), "The service has not been started. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:14:02).

I am aware that there was a 0x426 error regarding .Net Framework 4 before on the forums here, and I tried the solution, which was installing IIS 6, which I did, but the same thing still happens. This is driving me crazy now. It should be easy to do this, but there doesn't seem to be a solution that works for me. It also means that I can't use the game I bought, which is not only frustrating but a waste of money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:22 PM

Answers

• Yes, I agree with you, that post does have the same problem I've identified. I did my research and found that post too.

However.

If you look at what I've said in my original post, I mentioned that it was suggested that I install II6, which had no effect on my situation. I appreciate the effort, but this post tells me exactly that, which I have already stated, did "not" help.

I ran a clean boot in case anything was conflicting or interfering with the install. After doing so, I found that it would start to install, but the install would cancel because windows installer would was not working.

So, while still in the clean boot, I went to services.msc, and enabled windows installer (which had been disabled while in a clean boot), and tried to install .Net Framework 4. This took a while it took a while, but it finally worked and installed successfully. I then performed a normal reboot with all windows functions, and now everything works perfectly.

It turns out in the end I sorted out my own problem.

Thank you for your help anyway. If anyone else is having this problem, this is an alternative route.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:34 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• I'll start with a suggestion: Install SP2 for Vista.

I realize the system requirements say "Vista SP1 or later", but you really should.

First, before you attempt the install again, empty your %temp% directory, reboot, then disable your AV software.

Then, run the standalone installer (the 48 meg one) As Administrator.

If the install fails again, collect the install logs with this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=12493

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, then post the link here.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Hi, thank you for replying to my post.

I agree with you regarding Vista SP2 but my Windows Update frequently seems to fail on me despite a good internet connection, and no interference on my part.

I also tried to download SP2 manually but about half an hour into installing, the installation failed on me, saying an unknown error had occurred. It doesn't do much for system stability, I know. But I'm not too sure what to do about that either.

I did as you asked regarding Net Framework 4, but unfortunately still without much success. I ran collect.exe and the vslogs.cab can be found here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=22126c6a827da765&sc=documents&uc=1&id=22126C6A827DA765%21492

That link should work. I've never used Sky drive before.

The most progress I've had so far was trying to install it after a clean boot. The installer reaches a quarter of the way when installing the Client Profile, but stops immediately after that, saying that Windows Installer Could not be accessed. This is both good and bad, because the installer has never even moved in the progress bar, let alone reached a quarter of the way. However, I haven't had this problem before, so I assume it's a result of clean boot. I'd presumably need to find a way to access Windows Installer during a clean boot, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Thank you for your help so far. I hope the vslogs.cab helps even more.

Looking forward to hear what you think.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:49 AM
  • ·         Here's what you log shows:

Action: Performing Action on Exe at C:\422dc154275c669931b7ef\Windows6.0-KB956250-v6001-x86.msu...

[6/21/2011, 23:31:32]Launching CreateProcess with command line = wusa.exe "C:\422dc154275c669931b7ef\Windows6.0-KB956250-v6001-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart
    [6/21/2011, 23:47:4]Exe log file(s) :
    [6/21/2011, 23:47:4]C:\windows\logs\cbs\CBS.log
    [6/21/2011, 23:47:4]Log File C:\windows\logs\cbs\CBS.log exists and will be added to the Watson upload list
    [6/21/2011, 23:47:4]Exe (C:\422dc154275c669931b7ef\Windows6.0-KB956250-v6001-x86.msu) failed with 0x426 - The service has not been started. .
    [6/21/2011, 23:47:4]Exe Log File: CBS.log
    [6/21/2011, 23:47:4]PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 1062 (translates to HRESULT = 0x426)

[6/21/2011, 23:47:4]You should check the potential solution in the answer in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/c744209e-5d1e-4f64-aac4-f123eef380ac

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Yes, I agree with you, that post does have the same problem I've identified. I did my research and found that post too.

However.

If you look at what I've said in my original post, I mentioned that it was suggested that I install II6, which had no effect on my situation. I appreciate the effort, but this post tells me exactly that, which I have already stated, did "not" help.

I ran a clean boot in case anything was conflicting or interfering with the install. After doing so, I found that it would start to install, but the install would cancel because windows installer would was not working.

So, while still in the clean boot, I went to services.msc, and enabled windows installer (which had been disabled while in a clean boot), and tried to install .Net Framework 4. This took a while it took a while, but it finally worked and installed successfully. I then performed a normal reboot with all windows functions, and now everything works perfectly.

It turns out in the end I sorted out my own problem.

Thank you for your help anyway. If anyone else is having this problem, this is an alternative route.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:34 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:55 PM