none
"Debug assertion failed" in Visual C++ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

First please Note: I myself am no programmer but can manage several system tasks. I was directed to this forum from MS Communtity forum.

Question: 

When starting an .exe-file designed to control a cirquit board I get the following error window:

--------------------------

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

---------------------------

Debug Assertion Failed! Program: ... File: f:\rtm\vctools\vc7libs\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\occcont.cpp Line: 950 For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts. (Press Retry to debug the application)

Avbryt   Försök igen   Ignorera

When I click "retry" (försök igen) the .exe file don't start

I also tried compatibility for all windows versions back to win 96 but no luck. I allways used admin privileges.

The exe-file itself is designed 2012 with the board and has been working. Tried 3 different PC:s with same result

I have read in an MS article that the Visual C++ in Win 8.1 need a fix for this error  but I have not been able to find it.

I would very much appreciate  hints on how to fix my Visual C++  in Windows 8.1 so I can open .exe-file.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Regards/ Bjolen

Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:23 AM

All replies

• When starting an .exe-file designed to control a cirquit board I get the following error window:

You'd do best to ask the vendor of the software you're running.

Debug Assertion Failed! Program: ... File: f:\rtm\vctools\vc7libs\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\occcont.cpp Line: 950 For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts. (Press Retry to debug the application)

It would appear that they've given you a debug build of their
    software.

Dave

Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Hi Dave 

Many thanks for your contribution.

I have tried to mail the vendor in China  but they don't answer me on several mails. Thus I have to solve the problem myself.

I have downloaded  MS visual studio and plan to learn som C++ coding .I hope also to find somone in my nearzone familiar with C++ that can guide me while learning.

Do you think it is possible to convert a debug build into a working one.

Looking forward to your and any other contribution.

Regards / Bjolen

Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:00 PM
  • I hope also to find somone in my nearzone familiar with C++ that can guide me while learning.

This is a very good idea.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:30 PM
  • I have tried to mail the vendor in China  but they don't answer me on several mails. Thus I have to solve the problem myself.

That might be very difficult.

Do you think it is possible to convert a debug build into a working one.

It's more a matter of knowing why the assertion is occurring, and with
    that knowledge determining if it's something environmental that you
    can affect. I wouldn't hold your breath hoping to find a solution
    without the help of the vendor - or having their source code.

I think the debug assertion occurs in the MFC code for OLE (ActiveX)
    controls, so I wonder if you need some additional component installing
    or registering on the machine.

Dave

Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:27 PM