none
Signed INF & hardware with latest WHCK for Windows XP does it still supported RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an USB device using a .sys driver available in Windows. We wrote an INF file in order to install this driver when the specific Hardware ID is detected by Windows.
    The .cat is signed using a self signed key.

On all OS we have a popup only when we install the driver. But in Windows XP a "wizard" appears when the device is plugged for the first time.

My question are the following :

1°) Is it still possible to run WHCK tests on our INF + device (using latest WHCK) to get driver signed by Microsoft ?

2°) from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh852378 
    "Windows XP x86 and x64 (Certification not supported—drivers can be submitted for signing only)" 
    If we use this process to sign the driver, do we get ride of the popup : "
    Found New Hardware Wizard"
    I mean if we get the .cat signed, does the installation will be silent ? When the device will be plugged, is any wizard will appears ? or it will be completely silent ?

Thank you for your answers.

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi cgdev,

We do still sign device drivers for Windows XP.  After you have passed all HCK tests for your device on Windows XP, and made a successful submission to the Dashboard website, we will return a Microsoft signed .cat file to you.  End users will no longer see the message when they install with a Microsoft signed driver. 

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:09 PM

All replies

•  Hi cgdev:

I'm developing a SmartCard UMDF driver,but I don't know how to connect the API fucntion and driver。

Could you help me ?

Ming 

EMAIL: chu218@163.com

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Currently, Microsoft still accept WinXP submission for gets WHQL digital signature file (cat).

Thanks, Steve

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Hi cgdev,

We do still sign device drivers for Windows XP.  After you have passed all HCK tests for your device on Windows XP, and made a successful submission to the Dashboard website, we will return a Microsoft signed .cat file to you.  End users will no longer see the message when they install with a Microsoft signed driver. 

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for you answer.

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi Paul,

We target several Windows versions, do we need to run WHCK tests on all Windows we target or only on Windows 7 (latest one) ?

If all Windows, can we push log file with all OS tested ?

Thank you for your answer.

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi Paul,

We target several Windows versions, do we need to run WHCK tests on all Windows we target or only on Windows 7 (latest one) ?

If all Windows, can we push log file with all OS tested ?

Thank you for your answer.

Hi,

If your product's device driver support all OS in the same driver package, you can submit all test log with the same driver package and gets one WHQL certification file back.

For example, your device driver support Win8,Win7,Vista,XP. So you have execute HCK test and gets 100% PASS result on all OS. You can merge all test PASS log with the same driver and submit to Microsoft for gets one WHQL certification file (one submission id and one cat file)

But, the submit fee depend on how many OS merge in the submission package. ex. Win8($250)+Win7($250)+Vista($250)+XP(free). More detail information please refer WHQL policy - submission fee part.

Thanks, Steve

Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I have a similar question. We need to get a signature for Xp, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1. I have been under impression that latest WHCK supports all operating systems, but when I try to install WHCK client on XP and Vista, I get an error that Setup.exe is not valid Win32 application. The WHCK version is 8.100.26011. Do I still need to use WLK for XP and Vista?

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

HCK for Windows 8.1 is not supporting OSes below Windows 7 or 2008 R2. For getting the signed drivers for below version of OSes, you must have to use WLK 1.6 kit. Submit the result first with WLK 1.7 of Win XP and Vista OSes and while submitting the logs for other higher version of OSes, submit a Manual Errata file, in which you mentioned the submission ID of Win XP and Vista OSes, so that you can get common cat file for all OSes.

Note:- Now MSFT stopped charging fees for submissions.

Thanks,

Mudit

• Proposed as answer by Yev_365 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:36 AM
  • Thanks, Mudit!
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:38 AM
  • Hi,

I'm going to sign NDIS driver soon, It includes a NDIS IM driver on XP, and a NDIS LWF driver on Vista and above (including Win8.1). Since XP driver is in different binary file, can I still get XP driver signed, and how?

To sign Vista LWF driver, I guess that I need test with HCK 2.1 on Win8 machine, and submit request with dashboard VISTA check box checked, so that I can vista signature for free. Am I right?

Thank you!

Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:13 PM