Folder Options

Question

• Where is the equivalent of Folder Options in Windows 8? Specifically, I want to do two things:

1. Change a file extension association.

2. Show protected system files, such as ntuser.dat.

Is it possible in Windows 8?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Vadim,

To get the Folder Options dialog box, press WindowsKey+C to open charms when on the Metro desktop and choose Search. In the Search pane at the right of the screen type Folder and click Settings to display the results.

Here you go.

The only problem I faced with is creating a screenshot of the Metro desktop. When I click New in the Sniping Tool, the desktop disappears immediately and switches to old desktop rendering it impossible to shot the screen.

The same scenario with file associations. Just type 'assoc' (without quotes) and get the Change the file type associated with the file extension option in the left-hand pane.

This Search feature is fantastic!

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:13 AM

All replies

• I am not sure if thats what you are looking for...

But in the windows explorer (desktop view) go to the "View" tab.

There youll find checkboxes for "File name extensions" and "Hidden items". Tick these to show these kinds of files

PS: The Ribbon interface might not be everyones ideal choice from a grafical point of view (I myself think its rather ghastly). But it does bring a lot of functionality forward that was hidden in sub-menus previously...
    • Edited by plot-paris Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:04 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Hi Vadim,

To get the Folder Options dialog box, press WindowsKey+C to open charms when on the Metro desktop and choose Search. In the Search pane at the right of the screen type Folder and click Settings to display the results.

Here you go.

The only problem I faced with is creating a screenshot of the Metro desktop. When I click New in the Sniping Tool, the desktop disappears immediately and switches to old desktop rendering it impossible to shot the screen.

The same scenario with file associations. Just type 'assoc' (without quotes) and get the Change the file type associated with the file extension option in the left-hand pane.

This Search feature is fantastic!

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Wow! How do you know all those things?

I was also able to find Folder Options under Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.

And Set Associations under Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I tried the ribbon, but some of the options I need are not available there. With Exotic Hadron's help, I was able to find them in the Control Panel.

Thank you for your reply.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:54 PM