Have you installed the newest audio drivers? If not download them from the manufacturers website. Some drivers might be available using Windows update.
Go to the website of the manufacturer and select your computer model (this is usually done in the Support section). You should have the option to download drivers for your model. Download the driver(s) and follow the instructions to install - every computer
is different so I can't give you exact directions. You can also try using Windows Update to get drivers - it's located in the start menu.
Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).
If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.
This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.
If you have audio drivers installed and working but still no sound:
If you have external speakers:
Are they connected properly to the computer? If they need power are they plugged in? Are they turned on?
Is the sound device disabled?
A. On the desktop, right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar
B. Select "Playback Devices"
C. In the white empty space right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
D. Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now?
E. If you now see it you may need to right click on the correct sound device and select "Set as default device"
There are many different places to adjust the sound. Are all of these turned up?
1. Knob on the speakers, or if you have a laptop there might be a sound adjustment nob somewhere.
2. On the program you are using to play music/video.
3. Next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen there is usually a sound icon you can click. Also, right click the volume icon and click Open Volume Mixer.